Sleeping Pad system for Peru

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
scottmiller

Sleeping Pad system for Peru

by scottmiller » Fri May 07, 2010 3:20 am

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure the best sleeping pad system for my coming trip to Peru..

Some sites advocate a 2 sleeping mat system (closed cell and inflatable), others just recommend one or the other.. Would really appreciate thoughts on this.

NB. There will be plenty of nights sleeping on snow. Thanks!

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to any system. The choice may be specific to a particular climb. That said, I often use a thin blue foam pad under a Prolite 3. If the Prolite leaks, I at least have something and the foam on the bottom also keeps the Prolite from picking up any water that makes its way in via snow. Neither have ridges or cups that trap snow (e.g. ridgerest, Z-lite).

no avatar
robpatterson5

by robpatterson5 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 pm

full length prolite 4 would work, some bring a thin foam pad as insurance in case the prolite springs a leak

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri May 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I like my Z-lite and NeoAir combo. It's just as warm as a Prolite Plus, weighs the same, and I find it much more comfortable. It is more expensive, but it's also more versatile - I can take just one of the pads when I don't need both.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Autoxfil wrote:I like my Z-lite and NeoAir combo. It's just as warm as a Prolite Plus, weighs the same, and I find it much more comfortable. It is more expensive, but it's also more versatile - I can take just one of the pads when I don't need both.

Is there a big difference in warmth if you use the z-lite instead of a foam pad with no ridges or grooves? Wouldn't the egg carton shaped holes trap snow in it and make it slightly colder? Opposed to a smooth foam mat that will simply sit on top of the snow? I have never tried either, I just risk it and take one inflatable pad, which I'm thinking about changing up my system. I rather get the z-lite because I could also use it for summer backpacking too where a thin foam mat wouldn't do the trick for me. What are your thoughts?

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Autoxfil wrote:I like my Z-lite and NeoAir combo. It's just as warm as a Prolite Plus, weighs the same, and I find it much more comfortable. It is more expensive, but it's also more versatile - I can take just one of the pads when I don't need both.

Is there a big difference in warmth if you use the z-lite instead of a foam pad with no ridges or grooves? Wouldn't the egg carton shaped holes trap snow in it and make it slightly colder? Opposed to a smooth foam mat that will simply sit on top of the snow? I have never tried either, I just risk it and take one inflatable pad, which I'm thinking about changing up my system. I rather get the z-lite because I could also use it for summer backpacking too where a thin foam mat wouldn't do the trick for me. What are your thoughts?

Throw your hardshell jacket under there and it won't trap snow.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Since I'll be using a guiding company, I won't have to carry nearly as much as regular overnight trips, so I'm going with a foam pad and an inflatable one on top. The more comfort I can get the better because I'm a horrible sleeper.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Fri May 07, 2010 6:51 pm

as an additional guide, window-shop online and check out the insulating factors for different systems (they should always be listed in the item's specifications. the engineers will tell us to look for the 'R' value (thermal resistance) - the higher the number, the better.

it's not quite as rententive as it seems (though i do try :) : eg, a closed-cell z-rest has a value of about R2.2 vs. same value in a full length inflatable thermarest at R2.2 vs. a thermarest trailpro at 3.8.

fwiw, i've had two thermarests develop holes on route while my ancient (and cheaper) rei knock-off just keeps kicking :)

goldenhopper

Re: ..

by goldenhopper » Fri May 07, 2010 7:03 pm

robpatterson5 wrote:full length prolite 4 would work, some bring a thin foam pad as insurance in case the prolite springs a leak

Hear hear!

I've learned my lesson on snow and it's a good idea to bring a backup. If you’re a warm sleeper you might be able to get away with one good closed cell pad.

Return to Gear