snowshoes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
nikolai

snowshoes?

by nikolai » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 pm

How does snow work here?

I'm new to winter sports. I bought some snowshoes, drove out to Cameron pass, and quickly found myself chest deep in powder.

When and where can I use snowshoes in CO?

Do any of you have suggestions for a mountain I can snowshoe up that isn't too avalanche-y? (a reasonable drive from Fort Collins)

Is this the wrong season for snowshoes? Are they an autumn and spring toy, not really a winter toy?

Bill Reed

Re: snowshoes?

by Bill Reed » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:09 pm

[quote="nikolai"]How does snow work here? Interesting question. I'm thinking it works the same here as it does elsewhere in the world, though it's more powdery than some places.

I'm new to winter sports. I bought some snowshoes, drove out to Cameron pass, and quickly found myself chest deep in powder. Unless you have backcountry shoes (bigger ones) you'll need to stick to the beaten path.

When and where can I use snowshoes in CO? Anywhere there's enough snow and conditions warrant it.

Do any of you have suggestions for a mountain I can snowshoe up that isn't too avalanche-y? (a reasonable drive from Fort Collins) Rocky Mountain NP would have lots of options. Cameron Pass has lots of trails but you must be careful where you go as far as climbing.

Is this the wrong season for snowshoes? Are they an autumn and spring toy, not really a winter toy? Smaller, trail shoes better suited to spring conditions.

Jon12

by Jon12 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:26 pm

There are different size snowshoes depending on your weight(plus the weight of your pack) and the condition of the snow ie. powder, wet, packed.

Typically the more you weigh, the bigger the snow shoe required, refer to the snow shoe manufactures reccomondation for what size shoe you need. The bigger the snow shoe, the less you sink.

Teresa Gergen

by Teresa Gergen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 am

Please keep in mind that this is an extremely unusual snow year across much of the state. The stuff just isn't consolidating like it usually does by this time in the season. Yes, you need "real" backcountry snowshoes for winter mountain climbing, but if things stay hip to chest deep, give it a try again next winter before you give up. In a "normal" year, you can climb an awful lot of mountains in CO in winter with snowshoes.

Return to Colorado