Southern California Snow!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Greg Enright

Re: Southern California Snow!

by Greg Enright » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:14 am

Steve Larson wrote:We took 16 1/2 hours getting back from Tahoe Sunday. I-5 closed over Tejon Pass, SR58 and SR14 both complete zoos. Blew a tire, broke a rear shock, almost blew another tire. Escaped some of the madness by heading over Greenhorn summit on 155 to Walker Pass (SR 178 was closed due to mudslides going into Lake Isabella), then Bouquet Canyon Road around the fiasco that was SR 14. Too many stuck vehicles to count, including several SUVs and one Hummer (how is that possible???). I was never so glad to get home. In that amount of time we could have driven to Aspen...

That is an epic.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 pm

That seriously SUCKS!!!!

Steve Larson wrote:We took 16 1/2 hours getting back from Tahoe Sunday. I-5 closed over Tejon Pass, SR58 and SR14 both complete zoos. Blew a tire, broke a rear shock, almost blew another tire. Escaped some of the madness by heading over Greenhorn summit on 155 to Walker Pass (SR 178 was closed due to mudslides going into Lake Isabella), then Bouquet Canyon Road around the fiasco that was SR 14. Too many stuck vehicles to count, including several SUVs and one Hummer (how is that possible???). I was never so glad to get home. In that amount of time we could have driven to Aspen...

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

We left Bishop on Sunday about 0900 hours, and started encountering serious snowfall just south of Owens Lake, something I'd never seen before. Got sort of hairy on the road by Little Lake, then mellowed out. What we did see, however, once we hit the 5/14 interchange, was the MASSIVE backup that must have gone on for hours since they closed the 5 at Castaic. Mile after mile of pissed-off drivers parked in a notherly direction.

What's pissing me off is that I forgot to upload the photos I got when we stopped at Red Rock Canyon and it was covered in snow. Something I've never seen before.

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Left June Lake on Wed. at 10 am had snow on the ground all the way to Rancho Cocumuga. (or how ever you spell it). The snow in the mountains was and is awsome.

Previous

Return to California