SP's standard of routes/mountains/... is too high

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mrchad9

Re: SP's standard of routes/mountains/... is too high

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 pm

What are you advocating? That people make crappy pages?

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
JasonH, Kiefer, Luc, mrh, Sarah Simon, WouterB

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Better no page than a bad page. I'm a world champ at providing no pages. :wink:

Stef, sometimes I worry about you. Take a break from your bike touring and try drinking water for a day. :P

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
Buz Groshong, CSUMarmot, lcarreau, mrh

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 am

Under "Create Page," select "Crappy Object."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:21 pm

zodis wrote:Where is the list of standards?

At the very minimum, this is the definition of a complete mountain page (and the general idea transfers to routes, areas, and canyons as well):

There is an overview telling us something about the peak, preferably what makes it worth climbing.

There are good enough directions so that with the page and a good map, the user can get to the mountain without needing any other resource.

There is route information telling about length, difficulty, and elevation gain. There should be details about exposure, rock quality, tricky or dangerous spots, etc. as appropriate. If the route information is not on the main page, it is on an attached route page.

There is at least a primary image (an amazing number lack one or any pictures at all).

There should be information on camping and red tape, even if just to tell us that there is no camping or red tape.

By those standards, a page with just one picture and the key information is acceptable even if it doesn't make the front page or get lots of votes. Not really that much to ask. :)

I think sometimes people look at the pages with elaborate tables and photo displays and think they are the standard for all pages. They're not, even though it's great to see the work those folks put into their pages.

More details: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/post778545.html#p778545.

sjarelkwint wrote:How do new members get involved in a site like SP, or why would they try to write a page if the standard is too high to accomplish ..

Like this person who joined this April: http://www.summitpost.org/users/mazzani/69170?

Her pages are not as detailed as some might prefer, but they meet the criteria, many have been pretty well received, and at least one has been put on the front page.

You can do it, man! :D
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Sometimes, if you just put something out there, others will help you improve it. I remember a member who used to be local complaining about the info and the lack of pictures on a local page. It was a mountain that is a challenging hike, but nothing to look at and difficult to photograph. I sent the guy who put the page together some additional info for the page and went out and took some photos. If you put something out there, some will just complain (as the one guy did), and maybe some will help out and add some info and photos.

surgent

by surgent » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:35 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Biggest issue is that i just can't make a page which is good enough to go through bob's selection thing. Climbing for 3 months straight now i want to create new mountain and new route pages.

The problem is that i don't take pictures, just crappy ones with my cellphone (Rich, check my FB that's the quality i go for lol)

Since not having pictures of the route/mountain it is just impossible to create a page which is up to the standards of SP.

I think the standard is too high to create pages. I rather have a bit of info on a mountain than no info at all.

Been talking about this with mvs a few months ago. For non-english speaking people or people who ain't journalists it became impossible to write a page which is up to the standards. That standard is so high i'm not even bothered to try. How do new members get involved in a site like SP, or why would they try to write a page if the standard is too high to accomplish ..

Invest in a simple digital camera. USD$100 will get you a nice one these days. Not only for possible pages here on SP, but for your own enjoyment. I regret not buying one sooner when I did, having few good photos (or oftentimes, none at all) of some of the peaks I did. It's money well spent, and if you find yourself on some very interesting terrain, you will be glad you took the time to occasionally shoot a few images.

Study a few other pages for style and layout ideas. Then, start submitting away!

You are at a minimum "self-aware" of what constitutes a good page vs. a bad page, which is a positive start. The problem on SP is some people put up one sentence, or something so scant, you wonder what they were thinking.

You have good knowledge. Be sure to make that apparent as you create your information. Spelling and grammar always count.

Please don't be shy about creating pages for the places you have been. It is very much desired to have a good sampling of places all over the world, ideally. I suspect that whatever criticism you receive will be helpful and constructive. There's an obvious difference between an outright crappy page, versus one where the person obviously has the knowledge, but is maybe rough around the edges at first.

The following user would like to thank surgent for this post
Kiefer

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Standards too high?
Pal, either you need to change beer or you're on this site for the wrong reasons.

This is what happens when people don't follow high standards

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
JB99

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Don't need to. Those little digital trip cameras are getting so cheap these days that they'll soon be giving away anything under 5mp free with a box of corn flakes.

I never take a DSLR rock climbing. I'm much too clumsy to risk it. I use a little 5mp digital that fits into a neoprene stubby cooler for protection against knocks and drops. Weighs next to nothing. A little leash and a small carabiner and yer in business. Quality is plenty good enough for SP pages. It's not like yer gunna blow 'em up to poster-size.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Return to Site Feedback