Split Mt TR/conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bajaandy

Split Mt TR/conditions

by bajaandy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 am

Summited Split on Sunday 6/12. Great climb, but more physically demanding then I thought it would be. The snow is melting out FAST. Couple of soft slides the day I was there. There was good snow coverage for most of the climb up the North slope from Red Lake. A few places where you had to scramble on rock. The snow was a typical Sierra mix of conditions... some firm, some crust, some windblown, some postholing, some soft. Looked like no one had climbed that route since the last snow a couple weekends ago. Wound up punching through on the southern aspects which was extremely tiring. Very soft snow on descent which made for some fun (but wet) glisades.

I went solo, but wound up climbing with a couple of gals from the Bay area and a couple of guys from the LA area who caught up with me at the top of the slope I kept punching through. Was nice to meet and climb with them.

A couple of things about the trailhead. Fist of all, despite all that I had read, BOTH access roads are navigable in a very stock, two-wheel drive Nissan Frontier. My son drove his truck to the trailhead to drop me off, and we came in via the rocky road near the old open pit mine. It was slow, but totally doable. Since we had time to burn, we went out to Big Pine via the "4x4 only" main road. Again, no problems. But as with most things in life, YMMV. Not everyone has the same confidence and savy about where to put your wheels, so take my report with a grain of salt. (Oh, and just to drive the point home, the girls I met up there drove a rental truck, which I believe was also two wheel drive, and they had no problems.)

Second thing about the trailhead... take the time to find the right one! There are some false trails up there, and you could pretty much screw the start of your trip if you miss the real one. I hiked around the day before I went in and still didn't find the right one. Fortunately, a climber that day hiked in early had on his headlamp, so I was able to spot where the correct trail was. (Thank you, who-ever you are!!!!) I noticed a couple of parties who started up the wrong trail and were thrashing around down by the creek. Ugh. Not fun.

Oh, and yes the trail is not maintained, but it's very easy to stay on it. I think you could get lost at night, but that's not too hard to do in the wilderness anyway, eh? Also, if you go soon, you might consider taking some pruning shears, or maybe a small saw. For God's sake! That willow area is a real bugger for someone who is 6'-3" with a full pack!!

Oh yeah, one more thing... if you're into it, there are trout in the lake. (At least the small, lower lake. Red Lake proper is still frozen, but starting to thaw.) I took a small spinning rod and reel and caught some little goldens out of the lake. They were tasty!

The following user would like to thank bajaandy for this post
SKI

Bascuela

Re: Split Mt TR/conditions

by Bascuela » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for the report. I took a look at my buddies photos (went two days before that last front) and that section right at the crest looked interesting. Congrats.

finckster

by finckster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:23 pm

As one of the aforementioned bay area gals, I can confirm that we also had no problems on the road with our 2wd rental. Having some extra clearance was key, but 4wd was unnecessary. As for finding the trail, knowing that it starts by the spring (which is on the dirt road that branches off to the right as you're approaching the trailhead sign) is probably most helpful.

Andy, we really enjoyed climbing with you! You made it into a bunch of my photos, which are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rachel.finck/SplitMountain

The following user would like to thank finckster for this post
bajaandy

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 am

Rachel, thanks SO MUCH for posting the link to the your pics! Photo's do such a better job of showing conditions than words. I (sadly) did not take as many pictures as you. You and Vivian were such a joy to climb with! I'm glad we happened to be on the mountain at the same time. You and Vivian ROCK! My best to both of you.

thegib

by thegib » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 pm

The butt glissade video is epic. Thanks for that.

Bascuela

by Bascuela » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 pm

thegib wrote:The butt glissade video is epic. Thanks for that.

Second that. =)

no avatar
huntersthompson

by huntersthompson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks for the trip report....and the pics and vids were awesome. Heading up on Wed to Tyndall and Willamson...gives me an idea of what to expect..thanks....

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 pm

huntersthompson wrote:Thanks for the trip report....and the pics and vids were awesome. Heading up on Wed to Tyndall and Willamson...gives me an idea of what to expect..thanks....

Let us know what kind of conditions you find up at the Williamson bowl. Gonna be up there next month. Have a great trip.

Return to California