STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
JohnMcPike

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by JohnMcPike » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:51 am

Holsti97 wrote:Top Ten Reasons I thought the Konvention was Kool:

It was cool meeting you too at the convention Holsti even if you didn't list me in your top ten :-) In years past I never konsidered attending one because we're such wallflowers but we both found it easy to mingle. Dinner & conversation were great

I agree Timberline Lodge & Smith Rock were both awesome sites for different reasons. We stayed overnight in Redmond since that's where we flew into Oregon so we got to spend a couple days at Smith Rock. We been to Mt St Helens & Columbia River Vally when we visited Oregon back in 2001. Oregon is a special place and when we heard the convention would be held there we knew we had to make it somehow. Bummer the convention didn't coincide with the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show

Wish we could attend the Maine Convention but I don't think I'll be able to get the time off.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:26 am

good climb to Boundary Peak today, brought too many clothes only needed a base layer and a light jacket. No microspikes/axe needed. 3L water is enought. Met two highpointers from Reno, NV and we hiked back together.

There is a clear trail so just follow it into the bowl and climb to your right and you'll be fine, I used an old map and went off trail, the hardest part is to gain the ridge, very steep, seems forever! But after that it's just 1.5hr to the top and you can see it. I'd recommend an SUV to drive to the trailhead, there are 3 tricky spots for sedan (but the other two guys took an older Subaru Outback and made it no problem).

The 'scree' was ok, not too bad compared to Granite, the difficulty is probably behind a very windy Mt. Elbert. Total time is 7.5hr with about 1hr probably wasted.

The following user would like to thank sm0421 for this post
Bark Eater

Jow

by Jow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Congrats looks like u had good weather. Were u attempting Whitney as well? Also did u get stranded out west due to hurricane? I'm stranded inside apartment for a few days pretty much cleaning house, reading trip reports, and dreaming of next highpoint missions

sm0421

by sm0421 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Hey Joe! Yes my original Sunday flight got delayed, I called a bunch of times and finally got my way from San Diego to Atlanta on Tuesday morning, and caught the first 1pm flight into PHL from ATL.

Both ATL and PHL are pretty much empty... When I got home we have no power at home/work, so I'm in a 40-mile away starbucks today trying to do some work.

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

Crap i was just there this spring. I debated heading to cerro de punta but decided to hike el yunque in the rainforest instead but didn't summit just hiked around some trails, and hit tourist spots. They don't ever consider highpointers when they vote on these things

sm0421

by sm0421 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I did El Yunque a few years ago, nice place.

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Lets be honest 51 states doesn't have same ring as 50. So if we add PR we'll have to eliminate one. I propose combining the Dakotas, Harney Peak would be the highpoint and white butte would be eliminated from the list. Any better suggestions?

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey now!

<-------

White Butte isn't much of a mountain, but it is certainly more interesting than several other State HPs.

The following user would like to thank jdzaharia for this post
Holsti97

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 pm

jdzaharia wrote:Hey now!

<-------

White Butte isn't much of a mountain, but it is certainly more interesting than several other State HPs.

Ok but you didn't offer a better suggestion. The states combined must touch, make sense from a country standpoint (use whatever logic you like), and a highpoint eliminated (also for whatever reason you like)

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm

I'd say combine Connecticut and Massachusetts. Connecticut's HP is a liner with no prominence.

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Fair point, but unfortunately half of CT roots for the Yankees and Massachusetts won't stand for that. We could divvy up the state between NY and MA, or give some to RI they could use the land.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 am

either delaware or Florida... Florida is more exciting.

White Butte - man it's a very nice climb, driving is a bitch though.
Frissell - one of the best foliage color I've seen in new england, the climb is not bad, finding the actual marker is fun!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Catamount wrote:I think it's fairly clear ... Delaware needs to go.

Hey, I resemble that remark :-)

Seriously, back to the original thread, I remember climbing El Yunque with my family back when I was a kid. The rain forest was fascinating. Too bad we didn't get to Cerro de Punta also!

JohnMcPike

by JohnMcPike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Nah I beg to differ about keeping it at 50. Besides - 51 stars will fit on the flag just fine w/ 3 rows of 8 & 3 rows of 9.
They might as well get their full citizenship rights since they pay the same federal taxes and obey same federal laws. Doesn't make sense also that they cannot vote for president when living there but they can when living in the mainland US. If you folks feel this is too political a post - I will delete it

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Check out these stunning shots of the Aurora Borealis from Mt Washington. More...

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Bark Eater

PreviousNext

Return to General