Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby GEM Trail » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:33 pm

My first one was either in 1974 or 1976, when I was 10 or 12 and with a group did Katahdin and the Knife Edge. I had no idea what a high point was.

But I can almost see it now, i'll be one of those stories where it takes your whole life to do something. I am already almost at 40 years!

It would be fun during these slow times to hear everyone's story of their first high point. Please share!

Here's mine. A kid from Philly at camp for a couple weeks doing mostly canoe trips. But we hiked up and camped at Chimney Pond,then over Cathedral Trail and Knife Edge. We also spent the entire next day exploring the valley NW of Baxter Peak. I remember hours and hours of boulder hopping.

But my biggest memory was it was a confrontation between an older camper and our 18 year old counselor as we descended from Pamola Peak. I'd never heard a kid say f u to a grown up before. We were also scandalized he gave him the finger. What innocent times back then!
GEM Trail

The following user would like to thank GEM Trail for this post
Alpinist

Postby Alpinist » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:23 pm

My first state highpoint, long before I heard of highpointing, was Mt Rainier. We summited on 9/10/2001 - the day before 9/11.

The next morning, we were packing our gear for the flight home at the hotel when the first CNN news reports came in. We watched in shock as the second plane hit the North Tower.

We listened to the news as we made the long drive to the airport from Ashford. About half way there they announced that all airports were closed. We quickly found a hotel near the Seattle airport. The hotel and rental car company were both very accommodating as we did not know how long flights would be grounded.

We were desperate to get news as to HOW LONG the airports would be closed. I lived in Boston at the time, so neither driving home nor taking a train was a great option. We tried calling airline reservations but their lines were all busy. We finally decided to drive to the airport to see if we could learn anything. When we did, there were armed military guys pointing M16s at us screaming for us to leave the airport area. It was a surreal, panicked response to the attacks.

We stayed glued to the TV for 48 hours but finally couldn't watch anymore. We decided to drive over to Olympic National Park for a day.

We heard the following day that the airports would reopen on Saturday. We still couldn't get through to the airline reservation number so we just went to the airport without any specific reservation. It was unbelievable chaos. We were happy to take any available flight to the East Coast. We ended up going to Washington DC. We didn't have a connecting reservation but they said don't worry about it. Just go! So we did. We didn't really care about our checked bags at that point. We just wanted to get home.

When we got to DC there was more chaos but somehow we managed to get on a connecting flight. Incredibly, our bags made it with us!

There was tremendous uncertainty at that time. We didn't know if the airports would be closed for a few days or a month! I was never so glad to get back home in my life.
Alpinist

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
Catamount, GEM Trail

Postby JohnMcPike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:10 pm

Although I grew up 45 miles from Mount Marcy and hiked Marcy Dam and able to see Mount Mansfield from our town in the Champlain Valley, my first state highpoint was Mt Washington in 1992. It was the early years of our relationship and we brought our dog, Mickey with us. It was a given we'd take the road to the top. Howard was afraid of heights at the time and that drive was nerve racking with how high we were getting. I recall the elevation signs and thinking how can there be more to come - it seems we can't go any higher!! 38 highpoints later we chuckle
Mount Washington & seeing Old Man of the Mountain were on sort of a bucket list I had back in high school. I always took notice of state high points being highlighted on road maps and had a handful of them under my belt when I happen to come across Don Holmes' book at EMS in the mall I worked at and from there found out about the highpointers.
JohnMcPike

The following user would like to thank JohnMcPike for this post
Alpinist, Catamount, GEM Trail

Postby Catamount » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 pm

So, on May 3, 1993, while living in the Adirondack High Peaks, I climbed/hiked Algonquin Peak ... the second highest peak in NY. It was my first real mountain of any type and, really, it changed my life or at least part of it. It was a 4,000-foot peak and I was instantly hooked on the peakbagging thing. 115 Northeast 4K peaks later, I had hiked Marcy (my first state highpoint in July 1993), Mansfield, Washington and Katahdin. I added Greylock as a fun day-hike in 1998 but it wasn't until 2001 that state highpointing really came onto my radar. And so it goes ...
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
Alpinist, GEM Trail

Postby Bark Eater » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:43 pm

My first state highpoint climb was Marcy in June, 1976. I had ridden my bicycle up to High Point, NJ the year prior but didn't consider that a "climb" per se. PIcked up a few here and there along the way but never considered highpointing as a goal until I joined SummitPost in 2007. Y'all have been a good influence!
Bark Eater

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Alpinist, Catamount, GEM Trail

Postby Jow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 pm

My cousin found this hobby and bought the book and I said that sounds fun let's do it. I was moving to LA from Boston so we were going to drive across and do as many as we could over a few weeks but that fell through and I didn't do any high points until I moved back east 3 years later. I did RI in 2008 which is a few miles from my parents house and things have gotten tougher since that. Although I high pointed the Bahamas earlier this week, which while logistically a little tricky is only 1/4 the altitude of my first high point Jeriomiah Hill.
Jow

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
GEM Trail

Postby JohnMcPike » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Did anyone see the online article about a proposed ballot initiative to split California into 6 states? New highpoints & capitals abound.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/23/yes-it ... d=webmail6
JohnMcPike

Postby Alpinist » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:30 pm

There have been similar initiatives on the ballot in CA during every election cycle. I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Not only do CA citizens have to approve it, the US Congress must also approve the creation of any new state. And the odds of Congress agreeing to anything is about 1 in a billion!
Alpinist

Postby gwave47 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:41 am

I will be on Granite Peak from August 15th to 17th. I'm planning on soloing the SW Couloir unless anybody wants to meet up. Climbing Grand Teton with Exum on the 20th and 21st.
gwave47

Postby Woodswalker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 pm

gwave47 wrote:I will be on Granite Peak from August 15th to 17th. I'm planning on soloing the SW Couloir unless anybody wants to meet up. Climbing Grand Teton with Exum on the 20th and 21st.

I may be out on Granite end of August, depending on when I can get off from work. I'd like to solo that mountain as well. Either that or back up to Maine for Katahdin. I drove up to Maine last Spring but wasn't able to climb anything because I got a stomach flu and was holed up in hotels for 5 days, sick as a dog!
On top of that, I wasn't even able to drive up to the Vermont and New Hampshire highpoints because the roads were snowed in. Not a hugely successful trip! But I was able to check off being in all the lower 48 states as a consolation prize.

Good luck on the Grand. It is a fantastic mountain, and Exum is a fine outfit.
Woodswalker

Postby Bark Eater » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:29 pm

Bump - happy spring everyone! Planning on revisiting Clingmans, Black, and Rogers at the end of the month so my wife can add them to her list. Maybe I will actually have some views this time. We also will "climb" Fort Reno during a DC visit in May. Have plans to meet Hotoven and climb Kings Peak for the 4th of July. What's everyone else been up to or have planned?
Bark Eater

Postby GEM Trail » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:59 pm

DC is between my daughter and me, but we've never climbed it. We mentioned it this winter as a project to do soon, so hopefully we will grab that one this year. Cypress is at 22 high points, and turned 24 a couple weeks ago. She is hot to get as many as she her age in years, and also excited to get to halfway!

This spring we plan to take about 3 days to do Clingman's Dome. I was trying to get her interested in the Konvention there in August but no luck. We have only had to camp out climbing Katahdin so far, so we are thinking to start at the bottom on the Tennessee side and make it a two day. There's really limited options for such a busy park.

To get up Clingman's, you can either drive and then walk 5 or 10 minutes to the top. Not a real hike (and I did this hike already about 20 years ago). Or you can go back to the Blue Ridge Parkway about 7-8 miles away, and hike a trail that closely parallels the road. Too easy and possibly right on the road. Or you have several options that are around 12-15+ miles. I haven't seriously researched which of the 12-15 mile trails would be best. Any suggestions?

One thing I am firm on is spending a day at Pigeon Forge and Dollywood. I generally don't go near these places but on these road trips I love the kitschy Americana. So Dollywood is a must! Also if anyone knows any fun places to visit near Clingman's we are all ears.

We would both love to go to Nashville but it's a couple hundred miles the wrong way. So I am hoping we can hit Nashville on a road trip going further West.

Bark Eater, it looks like we started at almost the exact same time! I was in Maine in the summer of either '74 or '76.
GEM Trail

The following user would like to thank GEM Trail for this post
Bark Eater

Postby Jow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:26 pm

When I did clingmans we parked at New Found Gap and took 7.9 mile Appalachian Trail South route (15.8miles) roundtrip)which is nice and you bag two lesser peaks and only view of road a little in beginning if I remember. I believe you can also park at a place called Indian Gap for same route and shave 1.5 miles each way off trip. Either way it's not that hard of trail if you aren't really hungover from attending beer festival the day before which I did.
Jow

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater

Postby Catamount » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:35 pm

My highpointing journey is nearing an end. Into full-blown planning for Denali in June, 2015 (see my thread on the Canada/Alaska board). In all likelihood, this will be my one and only crack at the High One. Completely psyched. :D Beyond that, maybe another climb of Rainier (hopefully in clear conditions) just so I can see what it looks like from way up there. :geek:

Been a hell of a ride ...
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
Alpinist, Bark Eater

Postby Bark Eater » Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Just back from a fun road trip. Visited Clingman's Dome and Black Mtn. on Thursday, Mt. Rogers on Friday, and Fort Reno on Saturday. I had been to the first three before but Lillian hadn't yet had the pleasure. It was fun to encounter AT thru-hiker rush hour on Mt. Rogers. So glad to go back as my previous visits to TN and VA were in fog and rain. These were all in perfect spring weather. The "high point" was definitely connecting with the wild pony herd on Mt. Rogers. Incredibly tame! There was a newborn foal...probably only a day or so old. I will post a few photos.
Bark Eater

The following user would like to thank Bark Eater for this post
Catamount

PreviousNext

Return to General