Steph Abegg seriously injured on Vesper Peak

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Sarah Simon

Re: Steph Abegg seriously injured on Vesper Peak

by Sarah Simon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Argh, I read Steph's account of her injury and rescue...oh, man, made me cringe.

Steph, if you're reading this: From Black Forest, Colorado -- Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery. Fight hard!
Go climb a mountain

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:18 am

I too have admired your contributions Steph, and wish you a very speedy recovery! :)

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:13 pm

I've never met you either, Steph, but you've got some mad, quick thinking skills.
Get well and heal thyself. You've got a whole community here hoping for the best in your recovery.

BTW: Some really good posts on this thread concerning the dangers of loose rock. It took a long time for me
to fully understand how experienced trad climbers can become nervous and awkward on loose rock/scrambling.
Just something you have to experience first-hand to understand the concept I guess.

Get well, Steph!

fossana

by fossana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Steph, you and your sister did a remarkable job of handing the incident (the alphabet cookies were a nice touch). Speedy recovery!

-Michelle

Lolli

by Lolli » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Best wishes for fast healing!
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I can't help but comment on Steph's TR about her accident. Excellent on all fronts. Particularly useful was her bullet point summary on what she and her sister had done right. If you aren't convinced a good wilderness first aid responder course is worthwhile after reading her TR, nothing will convince you. Also, I'm slowly coming around to the idea, which I've resisted based on my own ideas of self-reliance, that you may as well throw your cell phone into your pack when you head out into the wilderness. Especially interesting is Steph's comment about why something like a SPOT wouldn't have been as effective as the cell phone in her circumstance in terms of the likely timeliness of the SAR response.

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 pm

I enjoy reading your trip reports on Whats New and on your website, and always marvell at the adventurous routes that you take. I wish you a speedy recovery.

StephAbegg

by StephAbegg » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your words of support. While I would never say the accident/rescue was "worth it", in the end it will probably make me a better all around alpinist, and I am also glad that I could share the story as an example of a wilderness response gone well.

Due to the severe vascular damage in the foot, it will be a long recovery, but my personal challenge is to be back at it by next summer!

At this point I had no idea if my sister would be able to find cell service and initiate a rescue that day. I was praying I wouldn't have to stay the night on the mountain!

I was so happy to see the helicopter. It is amazing to think they arrived only 3 hours after the accident.

Thanks again for the support and encouraging comments.

-Steph

The following user would like to thank StephAbegg for this post
John Duffield

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Glad to hear that positive mindset, Steph, in regards to everything, as well as getting back at it by next summer.
I think it was most likely your general positive outlook on life, as well as your calm, presence-of-mind, under dire circumstances(Hemingway called it "Grace under pressure), that enabled you and your sister to see the situation through. Fortunate to have her along.
I'm sure these same positive characteristics will enable a healthy recovery. Best wishes for a healthy recovery!

mvs

by mvs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 am

The spelled out "C.R.A.P." is like, the most poignant thing I've ever seen when it comes to the emotion of disappointment around something like that happening. Not many people can bring a glint of humor to a pretty rough situation like that. :D Thumbs up!

Previous

Return to General