Suggestions for Mountain Climbing App

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Zhang Bozheng

Suggestions for Mountain Climbing App

by Zhang Bozheng » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 am

Greetings to my friends. My name is Zhang Bozheng, and I am an App Developer making a mountain climbing app. What are the features that you all would like to see in such an app?

Currently I have
GPS Altitude,
Distance travelled on the ground,
Vertical speed and average vertical speed and
Ground speed.

The app will also include the ability to save your climbs.

Thank you very much :D

nartreb

Re: Suggestions for Mountain Climbing App

by nartreb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Because when I'm climbing, what I really want is to carry a device that's not waterproof or shock-proof, has minutes of battery life, won't work in the cold, won't fit in my pocket, doesn't have a lanyard, can't really be used with one hand or with gloves on, is useless in bright sunshine, and is not particularly accurate. Can you please make sure your app only works with really expensive phones? That'd be even better. If I have to go to the store to replace it every time it gets wet, I want to spend lots of money to make sure the trip is worth it.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:04 pm

The app you describe already exists, it is called Strava.

In my mind a useful phone app would display climbing routes in my near vicinity ( perhaps within a user defined radius), maybe using SummitPost, Mountain Project, etc. as the data sources, mountain weather data and forecasts for the near vicinity, and contact information (links to webs sites, phone numbers) for the relevant land management authorities (National Park Rangers, BLM Management, etc.). The app would also display any avalanche conditions for the near vicinity. The app would display a high resolution topographical map indicating my present position with overlays of existing known routes.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Add information about nearby services such as gas, food, lodging.

mcross

by mcross » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm not too tech savvy, and this might already exist... but what about a very small, lightweight, tough device that does all of these things and then uploads the data when you're done with the climb?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:04 pm

mcross wrote:I'm not too tech savvy, and this might already exist... but what about a very small, lightweight, tough device that does all of these things and then uploads the data when you're done with the climb?

This technology exists and is widely used.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
mcross

no avatar
drManhattan

by drManhattan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:11 pm

I already have that, it's a Suunto Ambit 2.

I think you need something that is more unique.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 pm

How about a summit register ? Generations of peak baggers have read and signed them but they always been absent from technical climbing routes . An efficient app design could replace physical registers and introduce the concept to technical routes. Good luck !

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Summitpost would also have to be converted into an app as I've said in a thread before. Thus it would join the modern times...

Anyway, I wouldn't clear SP website
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:37 pm

Zhang Bozheng wrote:Greetings to my friends. My name is Zhang Bozheng, and I am an App Developer making a mountain climbing app. What are the features that you all would like to see in such an app?

Currently I have
GPS Altitude,
Distance travelled on the ground,
Vertical speed and average vertical speed and
Ground speed.

The app will also include the ability to save your climbs.

Thank you very much :D

ExcitableBoy wrote:The app you describe already exists, it is called Strava.

In my mind a useful phone app would display climbing routes in my near vicinity ( perhaps within a user defined radius), maybe using SummitPost, Mountain Project, etc. as the data sources, mountain weather data and forecasts for the near vicinity, and contact information (links to webs sites, phone numbers) for the relevant land management authorities (National Park Rangers, BLM Management, etc.). The app would also display any avalanche conditions for the near vicinity. The app would display a high resolution topographical map indicating my present position with overlays of existing known routes.

I bet Strava is not done for mountaineering, as least here in this part of Europe. It is an app made for training more than a mountaineering app. But yep, Zhang describes something like Strava... Orux Maps would be but it is a GPS app

Return to General