Summer Plans?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
emiller1

Re: Summer Plans?

by emiller1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:35 pm

So whats on tap for 2015? for me it will finally mean a trip to the San Juan's with attempts at Sneffels SW ridge. Then a backpack in to vestal basin to try my hand at Arrow and the Trinities. After looking at these peaks from Molas pass last summer I cannot wait for August to get here.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 pm

emiller1 wrote:So whats on tap for 2015? for me it will finally mean a trip to the San Juan's with attempts at Sneffels SW ridge. Then a backpack in to vestal basin to try my hand at Arrow and the Trinities. After looking at these peaks from Molas pass last summer I cannot wait for August to get here.

Sounds awesome! Vestal Basin has been on the to do list for a long time, but not high on the radar for this year. Funny, but normally by January 1 I already have my plans for my trip out west all set. But this year it looks like my normal posse of partners are going to be AWOL, so it may be a while before I finalize my destination - although the North Cascades or Colorado are the most likely spots. Then again, there is always that elusive trip to the Winds that never seems to happen...

emiller1

by emiller1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm

You can never go wrong with a trip to the Winds. I am looking at putting together a plan for a trip to the southern part. Then when our group is headed home from Colorado this summer breaking it out for them. My general idea is a loop out of Big Sandy with stops in the Cirque of Towers and East for valley, and 1-3 class 3 scrambles along the way.

sadiegirl

by sadiegirl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Any beta you have on the Winds would be appreciated. I'm planning my first trip there...hoping to find a partner for some easy alpine. ( wolf's head east ridge)

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:19 pm

Sadie,
I am also looking for a a partner for some Wind River Range alpine. When were you planning to go?

emiller1

by emiller1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:49 pm

sadiegirl wrote:Any beta you have on the Winds would be appreciated. I'm planning my first trip there...hoping to find a partner for some easy alpine. ( wolf's head east ridge)

It has been 16 years since I visited the Winds so any information I have may be out of date. I can give you an overview of the trip I took. We did a 7 day loop out of Elkhart park trail head with stops on the way in at Miller lake and Tommy lake then over Lester pass and up to Indian Basin. By staying off the main Fremont trail we very few people. If you camp at Island lake it can have a number of other people. We took one day to climb Fremont peak then headed over Indian pass thru the Alpine lakes valley then back over Angel pass and back to the trail head. It was a fantastic trip just be ready for mosquitoes

Previous

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)