Transaminases

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
Diego Sahagún

Transaminases

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 am

Wich medicines do rise your transaminases' level in blood :?:

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:19 am

There a hundreds of drugs that potentially raise transaminases. Do you have a specific drug (or class of drugs) in mind?

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:27 am

Ibuprofen, Metamizol, Pregabaline and Tramadol

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 am

Ethanol in large doses

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:Ibuprofen, Metamizol, Pregabaline and Tramadol

As I said almost any drug can potentially raise transaminases. Generally, if you detect elevated transaminases you should first eliminate other, more common causes.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Wich are those other more common causes :?:

BTW, you asked for drugs and I put them

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 pm

knoback wrote:Viral hepatitis, fatty infiltration of the liver, alcoholic hepatitis, etc.. Tramadol is not known for this, but NSAIDS (including ibuprofen) are.

What about the other medicines, Metamizol and Pregabaline :?:

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks knoback, the fact is that I'm taking all of them and I wouldn't want to increase my transaminses to a dangerous level in blood.

You have more information there: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 1&start=90

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Thanks knoback, the fact is that I'm taking all of them and I wouldn't want to increase my transaminses to a dangerous level in blood.

You have more information there: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 1&start=90

It's true that metamizol is not used here in the US (becasue of some very rare but serious side effects) but it can also cause elevation in transaminases. A mild elevation of transaminases is usually not problematic but can be a sign of beginning liver damage. Again, if you have elevated transaminases you should check for other causes, e.g. viral hepatitis. It also can help to differentiate which transaminase is "more" elevated (AST, ALT). Also, it's important whether other liver enzymes are elevated or functions impaired.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 pm

SoCalHiker wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:Thanks knoback, the fact is that I'm taking all of them and I wouldn't want to increase my transaminses to a dangerous level in blood.

It's true that metamizol is not used here in the US (becasue of some very rare but serious side effects) but it can also cause elevation in transaminases. A mild elevation of transaminases is usually not problematic but can be a sign of beginning liver damage. Again, if you have elevated transaminases you should check for other causes, e.g. viral hepatitis. It also can help to differentiate which transaminase is "more" elevated (AST, ALT). Also, it's important whether other liver enzymes are elevated or functions impaired.

I don't know what is my transaminases' level in blood but I'd like to know how much of those drugs should I take for increasing my transaminases to a risky top. Either I think that I actually need the most of those medicines for my slipped disc pain. Anyway, I'll try to decrease my Ibuprofen intake when the sore lows.

I have another question. Is there any benefit of having a high level of transaminases in blood :?:

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:I have another question. Is there any benefit of having a high level of transaminases in blood :?:

High levels of transaminases in the blood is an indication of liver cell damage. No benefit.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:

I don't know what is my transaminases' level in blood but I'd like to know how much of those drugs should I take for increasing my transaminases to a risky top. Either I think that I actually need the most of those medicines for my slipped disc pain. Anyway, I'll try to decrease my Ibuprofen intake when the sore lows.

What about that :?:

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:01 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:What about that :?:

Well, for your individual situation you have to talk of course to your physician. In general, people will take the medication as prescribed by their doc and then have the blood examined to test for transaminases if the doc sees that necessary.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:43 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:What about that :?:

Well, for your individual situation you have to talk of course to your physician. In general, people will take the medication as prescribed by their doc and then have the blood examined to test for transaminases if the doc sees that necessary.

Is there a blood test only for transaminases or does it include more substances :?:

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am

Did someone suggest you get tested for this? Is it something that your worried about?

Next

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue