Umm--poo on Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
CONSIGLIEREG8R

Umm--poo on Rainier

by CONSIGLIEREG8R » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 am

I am doing a climb with RMI in August. How is human waste handled? When we did Whitney we were given poo packs. On Longs there was a solar toilet. UMm typically I don't have an issue as my prior climbs have been one (long) day climb.

outofstep80

Re: Umm--poo on Rainier

by outofstep80 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:57 am

Bag it. I think there is a solar toilet at camp muir. At least there was when I was there in 04 I think?

nickmech

by nickmech » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:37 am

RMI spends the night at Muir which has very fragrant outhouses. Blue bag required for the glaciers.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:33 pm

From NPS data:

High camps on the standard routes are located at Camp Muir on the south side and Camp Schurman on the east side.

Camp Muir: Located at 10,080 feet, facilities include a Ranger Station, solar toilets, and the Muir Public Shelter, which accommodates approximately 25 people on a first-come, first-served basis.

Camp Schurman: Located at 9,440 feet, facilities include a Ranger Station and a solar toilet.

Blue bags available at the Ranger Station.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 pm

CONSIGLIEREG8R wrote:I am doing a climb with RMI in August. How is human waste handled? When we did Whitney we were given poo packs. On Longs there was a solar toilet. UMm typically I don't have an issue as my prior climbs have been one (long) day climb.

The above posters are correct. There are toiletts at Camps Muir and Shurman. You should also bring a couple of blue bags, in case you need to go during the summit attempt.

CONSIGLIEREG8R

by CONSIGLIEREG8R » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:56 am

Thanks all. I feel relieved--- so to speak

no avatar
saxybrian

by saxybrian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 am

It's not so bad, I've done a poo at Muir many of times and the bathrooms to me don't smell that bad, however I've always gone when it's been a bit colder.

On a side note, I did let one rip on the Ingraham glacier right above cathedreal gap and one on the summit crater and those were rank smelling and having to lug those back, make sure you twisty tie those poo bags well.

Also a suggestion would be get a grocery bag and put that in your pack, and if you do poo, put your poo bags in that so they're not in your backpack.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh, for crying out loud..

" Because of the elevation, there are few micro-organisms to cause decay, and decomposition is slow. Besides being unsightly, human waste contaminates the snow which an unsuspecting climber may gather to melt for drinking water. Therefore, all water should be boiled or chemically treated and snow should be gathered from clean areas. At established camps, ALWAYS use toilet facilities."

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:51 pm

saxybrian wrote:Also a suggestion would be get a grocery bag and put that in your pack, and if you do poo, put your poo bags in that so they're not in your backpack.

I used to bring a waterproof, roll top stuff bag (made for white water rafting) to put blue bag into that folks generated on the summit climb when I was guiding. I did not have to worry about breakage or leakage and the bag was easily washed out.

nickmech

by nickmech » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Real men just hold it in untill getting back to town. Part of your training...

The following user would like to thank nickmech for this post
lcarreau

Cascade Scrambler

by Cascade Scrambler » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 am

Here's another vote for, "very fragrant" facilities at Muir. Used one in May a few years ago, had to leave the door open the stench gagged me so bad.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 am

Yeah, it also helps to handle those "blue bags" with immediate caution and extraordinary care..

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)