URL structure changed - watch for broken links please

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
WouterB

Re: URL structure changed - watch for broken links please

by WouterB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

I can see "small images", like the profile image on the forum and other small images on people' profile page, but once I want to see larger images on someone's profile page, I can't. The large profile image isn't visible to start with.

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 pm

That's what I see when I go to your profile page.

However, I can see the small images (also on the forums).

The following user would like to thank WouterB for this post
John Duffield

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Matt's, Wouter's, and my profile pages all look fine to me. Pretty sure I didn't have Matt's or Wouter's in cache. I'm using Firefox.

surgent

by surgent » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:16 pm

I link to a lot of SP pages from my own pages. I just tested a couple links, noting the URL differences in each, and the pages linked up just fine. Will this always be the case? I'd rather not have to change a whole bunch of links to SP from my own pages (I'm still in the dasrk ages of HTML).

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 am

Did you start on this work yesterday? I was editing a page, and had to give up. I exchanged images, and they behaved very funny. I figured I better wait a few days and see if it will work. If so, I can do it now.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread: I remember having read somewhere that you changed h2, h3 to h3, h4. Now it seems that h4 is a bigger font size than h3 which looks a bit strange. Anyway I would suggest making the h3 font bigger. (In case it's browser related: I use Firefox)

See here for instance:

http://www.summitpost.org/dolomites/150874#chapter_10

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Lolli wrote:Did you start on this work yesterday? I was editing a page, and had to give up. I exchanged images, and they behaved very funny. I figured I better wait a few days and see if it will work. If so, I can do it now.

Well, I started working on the changes a few days ago on a test site...maybe 4 or 5 days. But yes, I just implemented the changes yesterday. However, the changes should have had no effect on image behavior.

It wasn't the images themselves, but the links to the image were behaving strangely. They moved around from section to section, when I changed one into a new one, the one I just had done wasn't the image I had chosen but another random one and not always in the right place, even if I had seen it there first.
It was actually really weird, and I left doing the update, as I assumed some maintenance or something else was going on behind the curtains.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread: I remember having read somewhere that you changed h2, h3 to h3, h4. Now it seems that h4 is a bigger font size than h3 which looks a bit strange. Anyway I would suggest making the h3 font bigger. (In case it's browser related: I use Firefox)

Yes, h2s went to h3s, h3s went to h4s, but I thought I changed the CSS to make it so that there should be no visible change on the user's end. Perhaps you still have the cached version of the CSS file? Have you tried a Ctrl + f5 to refresh the cache or clearing your browser cache.

For me, the h4s do look smaller than the h3s.

Yep, cached CSS file. Thanks!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Lolli wrote:
Montana Matt wrote:
Lolli wrote:Did you start on this work yesterday? I was editing a page, and had to give up. I exchanged images, and they behaved very funny. I figured I better wait a few days and see if it will work. If so, I can do it now.

Well, I started working on the changes a few days ago on a test site...maybe 4 or 5 days. But yes, I just implemented the changes yesterday. However, the changes should have had no effect on image behavior.

It wasn't the images themselves, but the links to the image were behaving strangely. They moved around from section to section, when I changed one into a new one, the one I just had done wasn't the image I had chosen but another random one and not always in the right place, even if I had seen it there first.
It was actually really weird, and I left doing the update, as I assumed some maintenance or something else was going on behind the curtains.

Is it better now, Lolli? You get the same effects if you forget to close one of the tags - most often it's an unclosed table cell. Very hard to find if you only look at the text.

Lolli

by Lolli » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:43 pm

I haven't fixed it, but yes, you're right. I looked for them while I worked on it and found two, but didn't find any more. I have to go back and look, it's the Lofoten page.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:22 am

Lolli wrote:I haven't fixed it, but yes, you're right. I looked for them while I worked on it and found two, but didn't find any more. I have to go back and look, it's the Lofoten page.

In which section do the problems start?

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:06 pm

Gangolf,
When to climb.

Lolli

by Lolli » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:30 pm

The link to the Lofoten page from under View Objects I Can Edit from my profile is broken.

All the objects under that one are broken.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Lolli wrote:Gangolf,
When to climb.

Lolli, there are 109 opening td and 133 closing ones. I'm wondering why you have put everything in tables - formatting? It makes the code quite unreadable :-(

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Lolli wrote:Gangolf,
When to climb.

In "When to climb" you link to a picture with number 125857 - This doesn't seem to exist. I replaced it with a link to a seagull picture of mine - now the structure after "When to Climb" appears to have changed. Fixed?

Next

Return to Site Feedback