UT 9-- Government Shutdown

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

UT 9-- Government Shutdown

by Bob Sihler » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 pm

Please argue the politics in Off-Route. (I'll be happy to join.)

If the government shuts down, does anyone know if UT 9 through Zion would remain open? My hunch is that it would close because it has gates and fee stations, but on the other hand, it is a state route and a through road.

I'll be there in a little over a week and am currently exploring alternatives in the area, so knowing about the road would help.

Thanks.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

MoapaPk

Re: UT 9-- Government Shutdown

by MoapaPk » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:45 pm

I don't think it will; folks have to get to Mt Carmel Junction via that road. I was asking about hikes off the road (e.g. in Gifford Canyon), and the Zion experts were even uncertain if there would be ticketing of cars parked off the side in a shutdown.

Of course we never know, and the rangers seem to be a bit random for enforcement.

Maybe you should subscribe to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zion_Nati ... rk_Hiking/

Tanya M would probably have the best perspective -- she has to use that road for travel.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
Bob Sihler

Buz Groshong

Re: UT 9-- Government Shutdown

by Buz Groshong » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 am

It was open Saturday.

Return to Utah