Crampon Center Bars

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
4FunRunner

Crampon Center Bars

by 4FunRunner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Perhaps I'm not using the appropriate search terms because I'm sure the question has been asked before, but is it okay to use the very last notch on my crampon center bar? Both Petzl and BD warn against having too much excess bar coming out the back of the crampon, IE
example.jpg
example.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 4711 times

or using the last notches if you've shortened the bar personally, but what about using the last notch as it came from the factory? I have some trepidation as it seems there would be a lot more leverage on the crampon as you walk. I cannot get extra long center bars before my next trip on Tuesday.

ETA: Crampon in question is the BD Serac Strap with standard flex center bar, to be used with hiking boots.

staringcontest

Re: Crampon Center Bars

by staringcontest » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:34 am

I ran into this same issue. The regular BD bar barely fit my size 12 double plastics. I needed the long bars that weekend so I would up driving to the store and ponying up the $20 for an extra 2" length and a good fit.

Here's another post similar to yours with some good responses: post1009649.html?hilit=crampon%20fit#p1009649

Other folks don't seem to think using the last hole is much of an issue so long as the boot fits correctly. The last hole is there for a reason, right?

The following user would like to thank staringcontest for this post
4FunRunner

no avatar
4FunRunner

by 4FunRunner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 am

staringcontest wrote:The last hole is there for a reason, right?

That was kind of my assumption, but that's also why I asked for others' experiences. If the manufacturer didn't intend its use, why bother punching out the hole when they could have left the metal intact.

moonspots

by moonspots » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

4FunRunner wrote:
staringcontest wrote:The last hole is there for a reason, right?

That was kind of my assumption, but that's also why I asked for others' experiences. If the manufacturer didn't intend its use, why bother punching out the hole when they could have left the metal intact.

I'd write to the manufacturer and ask. I've written to Petzl twice on different questions and received an answer both times, and quickly. I suspect that they don't leave some of the metal intact (not punched out) due to some manufacturing process or requirement, not because it's ok to use clear to the end. Anyway, that's what I think.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 am

I use the last hole on my ice climbing crampons with plastic boots, haven't noticed an issue. 8) I too had the same concern but have had good results with it.

Return to Gear