Pole Creek Trail and Road access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
ScottHanson

Pole Creek Trail and Road access

by ScottHanson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 am

I will be in Sisters, Oregon next Tuesday (6/27) for a forestry meeting. I am interested in driving from Sisters to Pole Creek Trailhead on 6/28 and hiking/climbing to the Middle Sister/North Sister Col. Does anyone here know if the road is open to the trailhead? And the condition of trail?
Thanks,
Scott

ScottHanson

Re: Pole Creek Trail and Road access

by ScottHanson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Per Sisters Ranger Station Pole Creek Road is open to Pole Creek trailhead. The trail is open for 2 miles (roughly 5700 ft elevation) before a wall of snow.
Scott

ScottHanson

Re: Pole Creek Trail and Road access

by ScottHanson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I drove out Pole Creek Road (Hwy15 from Sisters) on Wed, May 28 to the the Pole Creek Trailhead. Hiked south on Green Lakes Trail for 2 miles to Soap Creek. Crossed four or five braids of water to this fast moving creek, but kept boots dry by walking across small logs over the stream. I then switched onto the trail to Camp Lake and Chambers Lake. At around 6500' I started to walk over snow patches. I left trail and proceeded up hill for another 500' to around 7000 foot elevation. Just did not have the energy today and my boots were failing (hole in sole) so I decided to turn around. Hope to get back here in future.
Scott

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)