Cell phone network?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Kai

Cell phone network?

by Kai » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm looking to buy a cell phone.

I have never carried a cell phone with me into the mountains, but I'm thinking of getting a cell phone to take with me on climbing trips. That way, I can call for a helicopter rescue when I get tired, or when I really need a pizza.

What cell phone network do folks like? Is any one network better than the others for coverage, particularly in out of the way, mountain regions?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I have a SPOT -- works everywhere, cheaper than most cell phone plans, so I no longer carry a cell phone. But you would have to have one of the messages programmed to ask a friend to get the pizza for you, and it's not two-way. S/he might get you a anchovies and pineapple, just as a joke.

Coverage varies hugely. Verizon has the widest coverage for some states, but some of the lowest level plans have worse coverage than the mid- or high-level plans. Tell us where you would want to use the phone, and let people from that area chime in.

In SoCal, people seem to get coverage almost anywhere, as long as there is a line-of-sight to a town. In the middle of Nevada... good luck with that, one can't even get ground-based AM radio in many places. Even in Red Rock, on the outskirts of Las Vegas, cell phone reception at peaks tops is quite spotty.

Moni

by Moni » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Look at the coverage maps of the various companies. I think you will find that none of the systems have good coverage N America the further off the beaten path you go. In Europe it's rare NOT to have coverage. If you are truly worried about getting help if you are in the backcountry, then buy either a satellite phone or a personal location beacon (what I have).

I have T-Mobile. It's so-so. Best coverage if you get a subscription, way less coverage on their pre-paid plan.

Dartmouth Hiker

by Dartmouth Hiker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 am

Whatever you do, DON'T go with Sprint! I've pretty universally had no luck getting sufficient reception from mountain summits, even those clearly in line of sight of major population centers (e.g. San Gorgonio, Longs, Evans).

A satellite phone would be a good idea, if you can afford one.

Kai

by Kai » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 am

MoapaPk wrote:I have a SPOT -- works everywhere, cheaper than most cell phone plans, so I no longer carry a cell phone. But you would have to have one of the messages programmed to ask a friend to get the pizza for you, and it's not two-way. S/he might get you a anchovies and pineapple, just as a joke.

I considered the SPOT. However, after reading the customer reviews at REI, I decided against it. Seems like about half the reviewers said that it doesn't work and that SPOT customer service sucks.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:00 am

Kai wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I have a SPOT -- works everywhere, cheaper than most cell phone plans, so I no longer carry a cell phone. But you would have to have one of the messages programmed to ask a friend to get the pizza for you, and it's not two-way. S/he might get you a anchovies and pineapple, just as a joke.

I considered the SPOT. However, after reading the customer reviews at REI, I decided against it. Seems like about half the reviewers said that it doesn't work and that SPOT customer service sucks.

YMMV, but look at the discussions here. I've had one glitch in 2.5 years of using SPOTs. For that glitch, I contacted SPOT service through facebook, and found that my model number was in a series that had a defect, and got a replacement the next business day at REI. I feel that SPOT could have been more proactive and e-mailed everyone with a unit in that series, but apparently the problem is sporadic (spot2).

SPOT has pretty much the same limitations as any device that must read or send a signal within the microwave range (GPS, some sat phones, etc.). Personal beacons often send with a longer wavelength, and can get through more interference.

Contentment is generally silent -- for example, I didn't post a review to REI. To put it mildly, I've seen a lot of "user error" with folks trying to send a spot signal (e.g., one guy who insisted on hovering right over the device, and several who kept the units vertical at the waistline when sending signals).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 am

While the iPhone is certainly pushing technology toward lighter and more efficient GPS and with better displays... it isn't quite there. I think you'll find that if you use the gps for constant tracking, in accurate mode, the battery is drained rather quickly. The antenna isn't all that great. And be sure to keep it dry.

no avatar
robpatterson5

by robpatterson5 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 am

a phone is an amazing piece of safety gear, a sat phone that it. would rely on a SPOT over a cell phone 90% of the time in the Canadian Rockies. The towers are just not there

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Last I checked, Verizon was the only carrier to get coverage at my house, and pretty much anywhere between Divide and South Park. It's been a couple of years, so it might be better with other carriers now. I don't usually carry my phone (or it's turned off) when hiking, so I really can't comment on coverage on peaks.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:01 am

MoapaPk wrote:While the iPhone is certainly pushing technology toward lighter and more efficient GPS and with better displays... it isn't quite there. I think you'll find that if you use the gps for constant tracking, in accurate mode, the battery is drained rather quickly. The antenna isn't all that great. And be sure to keep it dry.

While I would not recommend using the i-Phone 4 for mountian use. It is in my opinion THE best phone. I get better sevice (AT&T) with my i-phone 4 in my area than I did with my verizon phone. I used t get three dropped calls on the way home from work and now it is none.

As long as you have any sort of bumper or case on the phone, the antenngate problem is just nonexistent.

Ok, so its not waterproof.

Who uses it for constant gps tracking? I mean doesn't it do enough already?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 am

rasgoat wrote:While I would not recommend using the i-Phone 4 for mountian use. ...
Who uses it for constant gps tracking? I mean doesn't it do enough already?

I think the OP wanted a phone for occasional use, in which case an iPhone (or a smaller, lighter, cheaper phone) would do fine.

Then 1000peaks implied the iPhone might eliminate the need for other outdoor devices (like gps, cameras, etc.). It may be the most wonderful phone in the world for its intended audience; but think twice about using it to replace (e.g.) a dedicated GPS in the outdoors.

welle

by welle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm

rasgoat wrote:
While I would not recommend using the i-Phone 4 for mountian use. It is in my opinion THE best phone. I get better sevice (AT&T) with my i-phone 4 in my area than I did with my verizon phone. I used t get three dropped calls on the way home from work and now it is none.

I disagree. You probably had a very old out-dated phone by Verizon. Last I checked, Verizon is the only network available in the most rural remote areas across the US. It is the only network in the Adirondack Park. Last summer, it was the only network available at Camp Muir on Rainier. Also, this summer my VZ phone had pretty good connection throughout the Tetons, while others' AT&T didn't have any reception. When I go up to VT or NH, Verizon is the most reliable service.

To the OP, if you decide to go with Verizon, make sure to get one of their "world" phones. They come with pre-installed SIM cards and can pick up GSM signal when you travel outside of CDMA network (Verizon's network). Even if you don't plan on climbing outside of US or North America, it's great when climbing in the areas close to the Canadian border (Northern Cascades for example).

no2haven

by no2haven » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 pm

At least for my phone (HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon ) you need to be on the cell network to use maps/gps. Not sure if its the case for the iPhone.

So when you're out in the boonies, GPS will give you a location on the map - but the map will be blank. I had this happen driving out in the middle of nowhere on Highway 1 up on the Sonoma coast...wasn't the most useful thing in the world when I was trying to see if I had overshot a specific beach. I haven't looked to see if you can extract a coordinate from the GPS without map info (there's probably an app for that), but if you could I guess that would still be useful out in the backcountry. I wouldn't want to have to rely on it, however.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:33 am

welle wrote: You probably had a very old out-dated phone by Verizon.

It was two years old and surely nothing special.

tengobotas

by tengobotas » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:16 am

no2haven wrote:At least for my phone (HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon ) you need to be on the cell network to use maps/gps. Not sure if its the case for the iPhone.

So when you're out in the boonies, GPS will give you a location on the map - but the map will be blank. I had this happen driving out in the middle of nowhere on Highway 1 up on the Sonoma coast...wasn't the most useful thing in the world when I was trying to see if I had overshot a specific beach. I haven't looked to see if you can extract a coordinate from the GPS without map info (there's probably an app for that), but if you could I guess that would still be useful out in the backcountry. I wouldn't want to have to rely on it, however.

There is an app on the droid marketplace called MyTracks that lets you download portions of map ahead of time. Its actually a really nice gps for a phone although as stated previously, i wouldnt use it on anything too serious and remote.

http://mytracks.appspot.com/

Next

Return to Gear