Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

repairing chew holes in down bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

repairing chew holes in down bag

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm

I've always left my inner tent door open, to allow animals to explore the tent without the need to chew through it.

Unfortunately. on the last day of a recent trip, an animal (probably a ground squirrel) came into the tent and chewed 6 small (~1 cm) holes in my down sleeping bag.

I've tried repairing one of the holes with a patch of tenacious tape, but I'm not convinced the tape will hold; after stuffing the bag, the tape seems to come up on the sides.

In the past I've sewn across the hole and used urethane to seal the repair; but these holes are a bit wider, with masticated fabric on the sides.

Any suggestions?
MoapaPk

Re: repairing chew holes in down bag

Postby Kai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:31 am

Send it to a repair shop and have them fix it for you.

The manufacturer will be able to recommend a good repair shop.
Kai

Postby nartreb » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:45 am

Trim the edges clean, patch it with any old fabric and sew the patches on with a zigzag stitch. If you're worried the fabric won't hold your stitches, you can reinforce it with a fusible adhesive (e.g. Spray 'n' Bond brand - not to be confused with their "basting" adhesive, which is a temporary hold to be used instead of pins).

You can get surprisingly good mileage out of tape. I've field-repaired my down jacket with duct tape, then keep forgetting to make a real patch, and it can last months before falling off. One trick is to carefully insert some tape into the hole and make a patch on the inside as well as the outside. You also want to trim the tape into a rounded shape; any corners will peel faster.
nartreb

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks guys
MoapaPk

Postby Marcsoltan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:02 pm

There are some good suggestions here especially from nartreb. One thing to keep in mind is that to sew a patch to a down product will compress the inner and the outer layers together reducing the efficiency of the item. The zigzag stitching, suggested by nartreb, is a great idea since the micro filament nylon fabrics tear rather easily. Many home sewing machines have zigzag capabilities. I have also noticed sail makers have zigzag machines.

To avoid losing the loft in the down products you can carefully hand-sew through only the layer that is being repaired. Gluing the patch on first will help a great deal.
Marcsoltan

Postby MoapaPk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm trying several methods-- will let you know how they work. I'm not concerned much for aesthetics!
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

I've patched 6 of 6 holes so far, by different methods; one by tenacious tape alone; two (near the baffle sticthing) by stitching back and forth over the holes with the same colored thread, then sealing off the tear area with seamgrip; and two (on a dark part of the bag) by cutting out tough circles of no-see-um netting, top-stitching them onto the fabric above the holes, then saturating all with seam-grip, making a very down-proof and tough patch. The last hole, in the center of a baffle, I patched with a small round cicle of tenacious tape -- but I first put a glop of seamgrip over the opening, then pressed it hard to flatten all out-- the seamgrip doesn't extend more than half the radius of the tenacious tape. It isn't pretty, but that is the least of my concerns.
MoapaPk

Postby Marcsoltan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:52 pm

I guess in time you will decide which technique has worked out best for you. It would be nice to write up something, or just update this thread.
Marcsoltan

Return to Gear