New to Southern Oregon -- thielsen and bailey 7/26

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Leprechaun

New to Southern Oregon -- thielsen and bailey 7/26

by Leprechaun » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Hello

I recently moved to Josephine County OR from Alabama. I started hiking for the first time last year and did GA TN NC southern VA NH southern Maine on the AT. Since moving here I've done a lot of day hikes.

This weekend I am thinking of a trip to Mt Thielsen and Bailey. Probably camp at Thielsen Meadows Friday night, summit Saturday, hike out via Mt Thielsen TH and hitch back to vehicle and go find a place to camp near bailey to summit Sunday.

Any tips on this trip would be appreciated and I wouldn't mind meeting up with anyone with experience out here. I've never done any technical climbing so I'm a little wary of the summit of thielsen.

Thanks,
Lep

Steve Pratt

Re: New to Southern Oregon -- thielsen and bailey 7/26

by Steve Pratt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 am

Welcome to Southern Oregon and cave man country! Great quality of life there. I spent 7 years there and loved it.

Bailey is a slog, but otherwise trivial. Thielsen is a different matter and deserves great care. I am not sure what route you are anticipating, but it sounds like you are considering some sort of northerly approach. The north side of Thielsen has been climbed, but is seriously dangerous. Like most cascade volcanos, the rock quality there is truly horrendous.

If you are not experienced with technical climbing on poor rock, you will probably be happy with the standard route (which you might be referring to). Most of that route is a straightforward and very aesthetic hike. Then the last few hundred feet is a fun, nontechnical class 3-4 scramble. It is exposed, but most of the loose rock has long since been thrown down and it feels very secure.

Give a look also to McLaughlin, South Sister and Preston Peak (coastal range). Then when you are ready for the crowds, do Shasta. That's a real slog, but you will be glad you did. I'd go with ya, but I have since moved to Dallas.

PS: if you like red wine, check out "Druid fluid" at Troon Vineyards south of town. Great stuff!

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)