Langley in Early October

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
lmiranda

Langley in Early October

by lmiranda » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:05 am

Langley Early October - So, this will be my 2nd ever 14er (1st was Mt Elbert in late Oct 2013) and planning a trip to Langley in early October.
Lots of posts about early summer and summer snow in the passes... What should I expect in early October, seems like after September, all the permits are up for grabs, so thinking people don't go for some reason... Planning on staying at Trailhead night before, then High Lake camp, before summit on the 2nd day. Any tips?

Thanks!

mrchad9

Re: Langley in Early October

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 pm

There could be snow but there is a good chance there won't be any... or at least not enough to actually cover things significantly. I went end of November to Langley and there wasn't a lick of snow... though that was unusual.

Snow wouldn't be any concern of mine at this point. The main reason there is permits up for grabs is shorter days, cooler weather, and people just moved on from summer activities.

boyblue

by boyblue » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 am

mrchad9 wrote:There could be snow but there is a good chance there won't be any... or at least not enough to actually cover things significantly. I went end of November to Langley and there wasn't a lick of snow... though that was unusual.

Snow wouldn't be any concern of mine at this point. The main reason there is permits up for grabs is shorter days, cooler weather, and people just moved on from summer activities.

^^^ True ^^^

I just happen to be working on a trip report describing several off season attempts I made on Mount Langley many years ago. I guess this post could be like a 'coming attractions' trailer. :)

Beware that Horseshoe Meadows Road is usually closed by October- at least it was during my October attempt via Diaz Creek. This is a view of the north facing side of the ridge west of Owens Point from Diaz Creek:
NorthFacingSmall.jpg
From Lower Diaz Creek
NorthFacingSmall.jpg (741.4 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

I made another attempt that same year in late November (Thanksgiving) via Cottonwood Creek (remember that Horseshoe Meadows Road was closed for the season):

Day 1:
UpCanyonSmall.jpg
Up Cottonwood Creek
UpCanyonSmall.jpg (777.54 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

Day 2:
UpCanyonStormSmall.jpg
Also Looking Up Cottonwood Creek
UpCanyonStormSmall.jpg (528.03 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

The second picture was taken as I was retreating back to the TH from my overnight camp near the upper part of Horseshoe Meadows Road. Make sure you're prepared for unexpected (and expected) weather. :)

dpsiebert

by dpsiebert » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 am

A few years back I hiked Langley right before Christmas and was surprised that there was almost no snow at all. I went up Cirque Peak after reaching camp at High Lake. If you're up for it, Cirque is an easy, straight forward hike from there. Good luck!

fernandoe@yahoo.com

by fernandoe@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:45 pm

I went up in early October last year. It was really perfect conditions. Up New Army Pass, then down Old Army Pass. The rangers said there was some snow up there the week that we went. We did not see any, except when we went down Old Army Pass. It was really minor, nothing to talk about. That pass though seems to sit in a permanent shadow. We camped at Long Lake. It got cold just after dark and the wind seemed to whip up every twenty minutes or so and then billow down the pass.

Return to California