Lightweight Crampons and Iceaxe

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
ExploreABitMore

Lightweight Crampons and Iceaxe

by ExploreABitMore » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 am

I've had some really nice crampons and ice axe for 15+ years that have worked well, but they're, well, heavy, especially given that most of what I do is pretty basic/easy these days.

Looking to replace them both with more "minimalist" lightweight versions

Just looking at moderate angle easy snow for some basic mountaineering, nothing fancy.

Just curious what other folks are using for stuff like this. Thanks!

bserk

Re: Lightweight Crampons and Iceaxe

by bserk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

I love my Petzl Sum'Tec....

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Grivel Air Tech Racing. http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore//G ... fgodm74Anw At 14 oz. it is plenty light and its beautifully forged head climbs ice surprising well.

If you are not ice climbing or rock scrambling, you could get aluminum crampons. I have a pair of Grivel Air Tech Lite aluminums, but I would not necessarily recommend them. Camp makes a nice looking pair: http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Ge ... 240789.htm

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
ExploreABitMore

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Can't say about where you hike, but here we get a good bit of alternate freezing and thawing which results in water ice that is sometimes on relatively flat trail sections. This can be a bit of a problem for aluminum crampons since they won't generally stay as sharp as steel. I'd say that some basic steel crampons probably wouldn't weigh enough more than the aluminum ones to make it worth getting the aluminum ones.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
splattski

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:07 pm

I have a light weight axe, but I much prefer my heavier one. Try smashing a block of ice with a 5 lb hammer vs. a 10 lb. hammer and you will see why. :wink:

Personally, I have failed to see the advantages of a light weight axe, other than carrying a few less ounces on your back during an approach. I do like lightweight gear, but the ice axe is the exception where light weight is not desirable (at least in my opinion).

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
96avs01, WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:31 am

Scott wrote:I have a light weight axe, but I much prefer my heavier one. Try smashing a block of ice with a 5 lb hammer vs. a 10 lb. hammer and you will see why. :wink:

Personally, I have failed to see the advantages of a light weight axe, other than carrying a few less ounces on your back during an approach. I do like lightweight gear, but the ice axe is the exception where light weight is not desirable (at least in my opinion).

Yeah, the weight comes in handy when trying to drive an Axe into hard pack for an anchor or z-pulley as well.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:18 pm

While I think an axe can be too light, I have never found a disadvantage in a well balanced, well designed, light axe. I'm not sure where you can even buy a heavy axe any more, the BD Raven is the heaviest axe REI sells.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:14 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:While I think an axe can be too light, I have never found a disadvantage in a well balanced, well designed, light axe. I'm not sure where you can even buy a heavy axe any more, the BD Raven is the heaviest axe REI sells.

The omega pacific mountain axe is probably the heaviest you can get. I have a 60cm in that model and a 72 in the Grivel G1. The Omega is noticeably heavier despite being 30% shorter.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:07 am

Did anybody read the OP? Easy snow! ;-) No need to worry about ice, z-pulleys, anchors, etc.

Anyhow, Excitableboy got me pointed in the right direction and I found an axe and crampons that will shed a few pounds and get me to those distant peaks and back in a day ... thanks for the feedback.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Glad I could help. FWIW, I have used my aluminum crampons on bullet hard late season glacier ice with no problems and my partner has used a Grivel Air Tech Racing axe on winter alpine climbs to WI 4, M4+ as well as on big alpine routes like SW Buttress of Mt Hunter.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 am

I've been chasing after light crampons for years. The problem is not so much finding good light crampons, as in finding good light boots with stiff soles.

The light camp aluminum crampons had something odd about the heel strap that caused them to come loose in the most inconvenient places; you will find this flaw mentioned in some on-line reviews. I had this happen a lot, with several different boots.

Currently I have a pair of grivel aluminum with a bendable flexi-strip, so they can be worn with fairly soft boots. I've tried them just once; as with most Al crampons, the points are shorter than on the steel equivalents. The bindings seem more secure than on the camp verson.

I used my stubai aluminum on limited mixed terrain; just don't expect them to last very long before you refile them, and aluminum disappears quickly with repeated filing.

I've gotten by with a whippet in easy terrain; but it has some serious disadvantages. You can't use it for self-belay, and the lack of an adze makes it hard to put through the typical ice-axe loop on packs. I have practiced self-arrests with it, and it is surprisingly effective; which is good, because it is more likely to cause you to fall. ;)

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:43 am

MoapaPk wrote:Currently I have a pair of grivel aluminum with a bendable flexi-strip, so they can be worn with fairly soft boots. I've tried them just once; as with most Al crampons, the points are shorter than on the steel equivalents. The bindings seem more secure than on the camp verson.

The short down facing points on the Grivel aluminum crampons are their major disadvantage. Not a problem on neve' or even ice, but in certain snow conditions where a layer of snow covers a hard layer or ice, it can be very insecure.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:23 pm

According to their website: "The TiCa Ice Tool is not a replacement for a UIAA-certified ice axe on technical terrain and should not be used where life or safety is at risk."

Next

Return to Gear