April high elevation summits?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
youngdoc

April high elevation summits?

by youngdoc » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:02 pm

Greetings,

I'm looking for a peak to day hike the third week in April (2015). It's a tough time of year to find high altitude accessible peaks that aren't unreachable due to snow. I had good luck in April 2013 climbing Telescope Peak in Death Valley -- the roads were open and the peak had some snow, but nothing that stopped me from getting to the top and doing it as a day hike. My preferences are:

- 8,000 foot peaks or higher (preferably over 10,000)
- can be done as a day hike, typically under 20 miles round trip and doesn't require me to hike to a campsite the night before in order to cover the distance.
- nothing worse than some scrambling or light climbing
- geographically -- anywhere in the U.S. I'm posting to this southwestern U.S. board, because those seem like the most logical states (as well as California), but I'm easy.

I have summited a lot of peaks in this category, e.g. Telescope, Wildrose, Whitney, Wheeler (NM), Adams (WA), Charleston (NV), Mt. St. Helens, etc., but they are always harder to come by in snowier months -- so many become inaccessible, because the road to the trail head is closed and/or the nearest open road is more than a day's hike from the summit.

I would greatly appreciate your input.

Many thanks!

brichardsson

Re: April high elevation summits?

by brichardsson » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 pm

in socal you can hit san gorgonio or san jacinto. both are over 10k', both are ultras with over 8,000' prominence, both are completely on trail, and both can be done as a day hike. san g would be harder - it's higher and longer with more gain - but imho it's a better trip.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

cab

by cab » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:44 pm

How about Humphreys Peak in Arizona? It's the state highpoint and the trail starts at a ski area so there is a paved, plowed road all the way.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:26 am

Youngdoc, your post is generally accurate. I used to have a very similar mindset. The responses you've gotten so far are good suggestions.  

Still, given specific conditions this year, I'm wondering a few things.  Am I reading that you have only enough time for one dayhike?  Do you have any preference for what scenery and other hiking opportunities may be nearby? Do you care about solitude?  It sounds like you want something physically demanding with far reaching views and big mountain feel, yet logistically and technically easy/safe.  I'm guessing you are looking for somewhere easy to catch a flight to and then maybe drive five hours or less to get to the trailhead?  Arriving as late in snow season as the second half of April generally improves your odds of avoiding wintery weather, but will it be easy to cancel or reschedule if a significant spring storm comes through at the wrong time for your plans?

It is good to include California as an option in your scenario, especially this spring. This April, California might be less snowy than the rest of the southwest. Snowpack is at record low levels and record breaking warmth has been the norm this winter and the past couple of years in general.  Beyond a week, forecasts and outlooks get somewhat unreliable, but there are no signs yet pointing toward March or April putting a dent in the significantly warm and dry drought conditions. Sources:

http://mammothweather.com/2015/03/10/a-subtropical-upper-jet-to-bring-mainly-light-precipitation-to-the-high-country-wednesday-then-a-rather-dirty-ridge-is-expected-to-develop-friday-and-into-the-weekend-allowing-considerable-high-cl/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/index.php

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/index.php

Several great Eastern Sierra passes and peaks might be an option if extreme drought persists and you check back for road and mountain conditions in a month.  Whitney is far from being the sole highlight.  I may be over there in a few weeks trying some routes that normally would involve skis.

Over in the western Sierra, have you ever been to Yosemite? What snowmelt there is this spring will be flowing over the falls between now and May. You could take the Mist Trail past Vernal and Nevada Falls, then head up past Half Dome to Clouds Rest for what many consider to be the finest view in the park.  Other great trails there will likely be clear of hazards.  Over on the west side of SEKI NP you could check out the giant sequoias and maybe get up to Alta Peak without much snow. Check out Moro Rock if you go.

If you can get over elevation bias, a world of options opens up even in a snowy year or month.  Death Valley National Park has several peaks, canyons, and dunes that I find more scenic and interesting than the Telescope/Wildrose area. That park and the rest of the vast southern California deserts have excellent peaks, hikes, and scrambles that may be at the bottom of your requested elevation range or below it. In other words, I have found that the numbers come far from telling the whole story in many cases. So, If you plan a trip for southern/central CA to try San Gorgonio, San Jacinto, or the Sierra and the weather unexpectedly gets snowier, there are still tons of fun options.

In Southern Utah, many areas in and near Zion National Park are great for peakbagging and exploring in April.  I found Canaan Mountain to be a great experience.

On the subject of spectacular high peaks, Mt. Shasta is worth checking conditions for in April if you have time to acclimatize, go guided, or have adequate snow skills.

I've done Humphreys (it's decent and may be snowy) but I'll leave the SP southwestern states to others. Ask if you need help with areas I mentioned.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Mummy Mt NV (11540', near Vegas) is often climbable by the talus slope in March-April, from mild crampon route to just booting it. Often the south-facing slope is free of snow. South Sister (over 10200') is often climbable by the S route. La Madre near Vegas (8100') is usually open from the south (Sandstone Quarry).

There are many peaks in southern Utah where a snowshoe will get you to 11000' with the biggest difficulty being the road to the TH.

Snow conditions are highly variable this time of year.

youngdoc

by youngdoc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 am

I just wanted to comment that I am reading all of your suggestions and I am very grateful for the input. These are all great ideas. How to choose...

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa would fit the bill. They are almost fourteeners and Mauna Kea is a state high point. There's a lot of other things for an outdoorsy person to do on the Big Island - hike the Kilauea volcanic park and the Waipio valley, dive, snorkel, surf, etc. The Kona coffee is excellent too. :)

The road to the Barcoft gate on White Mountain Peak in CA may be open by late April. It's the third highest peak in the state.

youngdoc

by youngdoc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:18 am

Hawaii would be fantastic, but I guess I should have qualified my standard M.O.: I fly out of the (mostly) flatlands of Ohio on a Friday, climb an awesome peak at the crack of dawn the next morning, and then fly home on Sunday. I do that once a month, weather (and sometimes life) permitting. The flight to the Big Island might leave me a little light on hiking time...

As for White Mountain, that was my first 14er back in 2012, followed by a day hike up Whitney's Mountaineer route two days later. Two spectacular hikes, but I'm not ready to repeat White Mountain yet -- that first leg on the service road up to the research site was beautiful but monotonous!

Keep 'em coming. I really love this site.

youngdoc

by youngdoc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 pm

For those still following along, I have selected Cloud's Rest in Yosemite. A snudge under my 10,000 ft "requirement," but with 6,000 feet of elevation gain over 10 miles each way, I don't think I will miss it too much! This trip report should be very handy, considering the date is nearly identical to my planned trip:

http://mountainhiker.org/trip_report.aspx?id=133

I also contacted the ranger station to get the low-down. Not much snow this year, which is almost a little disappointing. Should still be a great hike!

colinr

by colinr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 am

I may be up there in early April.

Video from atop Clouds Rest Saturday:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO366KEoRqc[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO366KEoRqc

There was some snowfall last night that should melt this week. Outlooks suggest potential for storms after Easter, but I'll believe it when I see it (or if that eventually becomes part of a 3-5 day forecast).

Here's a view of Half Dome, Clouds Rest, and the High Sierra from March 19 each of the last five years:
http://www.sacbee.com/site-services/databases/article15386540.html

youngdoc

by youngdoc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Thanks for sharing that! The effects of the California drought are particularly incredible. If the drought continues in the coming years, it will be interesting to see how it affects mountaineering throughout the state both environmentally and with respect to extending access.

colinr

by colinr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Youngdoc,

Indeed!

Hey, you would have had a lot of fun a week ago. I was there hours before a foot or two of snow fell:

http://rockyags.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/camHist11.pl?camera=sentinel_dome_1&date=20150408&movie=0&frame=108&visible=false.

It melts fast, but helps the falls flow, and there may be more storms before summer. Even in April, the Mist Trail is a zoo down low when it is nice out, but definitely worth seeing.

youngdoc

by youngdoc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

What a difference a few days can make! I have been checking the webcam daily and I saw that shot when it happened. That would have been an interesting hike! I will be hiking it this Saturday 4/18 and unless there is an unexpected storm between then and now, it looks like we will be probably just be dealing with slush and ice on top. Still not sure whether to be happy or disappointed! Barring weather changes do you think it would be wise or pointless to carry my ice axe and helmet? I will carry my microspikes regardless.

colinr

by colinr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 am

This is just a guess, but I doubt you will find any snow or ice worth worrying about. It has been (and will likely be) warm and the snow fell on warm ground. I probably wouldn't even bring my microspikes, but it is a good idea in case there are slick sections. I went to over 13k last Saturday and ended up leaving any winter gear I own in my pack as dead weight. North facing stuff above 10k might be a different story, especially in that part of the Sierra, but all that is probably irrelevant to your planned hike and a deep freeze of any snow possibly left is unlikely.

hgrapid

by hgrapid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 am

The snow is pretty light in Tahoe already. I would say Snow Valley Peak 9,214' from the south is very doable. Anything in East Tahoe really is doable. Snow level is at about 10,000' in that area. Freel Peak 10,881' has lost a lot of snow. That is the highest summit in the Lake Tahoe Basin and if you approach from the south via Armstrong Pass, I think you are in the clear.

Next

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)