dog trips in the new england

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
coolguyalex

dog trips in the new england

by coolguyalex » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 am

My vision is to have this thread be a continuing archive of my adventures with my dog, Luna.

I feel like wanting to hike and experience the great outside; just a man and his dog, is a pretty standard ambition and yet there is a startling lack of resources for such ambitions

so....hit me summitposters!

coolguyalex

Re: dog trips in the new england

by coolguyalex » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:22 pm

some logistic information.

I'm from southcoast MA and the white mountains are usually my "home range" if you could really call a place 200 miles away home...

As of now Luna is used to about 2 hour hikes and has never shown any sign of fatigue in this or any other activities ...ever.... She's a 50 lbs Australian cattle dog/Lab mix. Regardless I think a relatively lower key hike might be best...for our first few, though I'd like to try an overnight-er soon if possible.

I'm a teacher so I have every weekend and a lot of the summer off...

so yeah... Has anyone hiked with their dog and had an awesome or horrific experience? any advice or stories are appreciated.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Lots of experiences. Key learnings: Work up difficulty gradually. Endurance is one thing. Another one is wear and tear on the paw pads on rocky trails. Gradually they will toughen up. Enjoy!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:09 pm

I'm definitely outside the norm here but I'm annoyed by dogs on trails, sorry I'm not a pet guy. I've been in a number of situations where dogs are off leash in situations where they could create problems due to the terrain. I also question why, where pets are allowed, the rules seem to not apply to the dear pet owners pet.

Added:
Not trolling, I guess I'm just releasing a beef, I'm sure your dog is great and I do like animals.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)