Tour Monte Rosa - Theodul glacier

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
grayscottage

Tour Monte Rosa - Theodul glacier

by grayscottage » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi we are looking to walk the Tour of Monte Rosa in Mid/late July. We will start in Zermatt and wish to cross the glacier from Trockener Steg. I will probably ask around in Zermatt as to the conditions but hope to trek to the Theodul hut without a guide rope etc. I have skied there in the winter and generally know the area. I have walked on dry glaciers without gear but don't wish to carry kit for 10 days if it should be safe enough to cross.

Is it better to go early in the day or should it be ok.

Any tips gratefully received.

selinunte01

Re: Tour Monte Rosa - Theodul glacier

by selinunte01 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi, you write about crossing the Theodulgletscher to the hut coming from Trockener Steg (which is less than half a days walk) and not wishing to carry glacier gear for 10 days. So I don´t know exactly what you are up to.
I always advise to take glacier gear when stepping on or crossing a glacier even if Theodulgletscher is not a difficult one. If you want to proceed to the Monte Rosa summits, Breithorn, Castor, Pollux, and so on, glacier gear is mandatory!
Keep yourself save and have fun, the region is gorgeous!

no avatar
grayscottage

Re: Tour Monte Rosa - Theodul glacier

by grayscottage » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 pm

Yes we are looking at the tour of monte rosa so no summits. I fully understand what is best but I wonder how sever the risk is. Thanks

Return to General