Best Gear Bag/Pack for Travel

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
skycripp

Best Gear Bag/Pack for Travel

by skycripp » Tue May 31, 2016 4:49 pm

Greetings,

I'm looking to buy a large bag for traveling to climbing destinations (both mountaineering and rock climbing). I'm looking for a bag that could comfortably hold:

- Mountaineering boots
- Crampons
- Ice Axe(s)
- Rope(s)
-Anchor building materials
- tent
- climbing rack
- climbing shoes
- helmet

Essentially, all the good stuff! I'm looking at TNF Rolling Thunder (30") but have some friends who have similar packs that have straps and can be worn as a backpack -- not just carried like a duffel or rolled around the airport. Does anyone have a bag that they are in love with, or would recommend over the TNF Rolling Thunder (https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/rolli ... tionId=JK3)?

ChristopherFranklin

Re: Best Gear Bag/Pack for Travel

by ChristopherFranklin » Tue May 31, 2016 7:07 pm

I have a north face duffel size large and it has backpack straps. It'll hold all of that gear.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Mountaineering boots go on your feet or carry on. They can't be replaced if lost like most other gear.

I typically load everything in my pack and slide the pack into an extra large Eagle Creek duffle. The lower profile the bag, the less likely it is to be stolen.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue May 31, 2016 9:45 pm

TNF duffles are nice because they have straps. They also scream 'STEAL ME'. Friends have said the material is actually not very durable, and wear through when lashed to pack animals.

I like FISH duffle bags, very durable, well priced, but no straps. You could buy a haul bag, that would get you the straps. FISH, A5, and Metolious all make big, durable haul bags.

I have an Eagle Creek duffle that was cheap, is durable, has a locking zipper, and you can buy a padded shoulder strap for it.

Another idea is an Army/Navy surplus duffle bag. I believe the have a strap and fly so far under the radar no thief would bother looking there.

infinityjellyD

by infinityjellyD » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:19 am

I have a 90L Patagonia Black Hole. I love it. Very durable, the zipper is strong which allows me to really lever-up in forcing a tight bag closed, and it has handles in all the right places for lifting, hauling, or wearing as a backpack.

To get a sense of carrying ability, consider this: it currently is packed to the gills for a long mountaineering trip and weighs 46.6 lbs according to my albeit non-precision bathroom scale. Contents include the following:

- 1 BD Mission 75L pack (flattened at the bottom of the bag)
- 2 ice tools and 1 ice ax
- 1 4-season tent
- 1 set of crampons
- 1 crampon bag filled with 8 ice screws
- 2 Yates snow pickets
- 1 Avalanche transceiver
- 4 sets of gloves (heavy, 2 med, light)
- 1 2L dromedary (empty)
- 6 pairs of socks
- 4 underwear
- 4 shirts
- 3 baselayer tops, 1 bottom
- 1 climbing pants
- 1 hardshell top, 1 bottom
- 1 softshell top
- 2 insulation layers (1 down, 1 fleece)
- 1 belay jacket
- 1 harness
- 1 pair of gaiters
- 1 pair sunglasses (in protective box)
- 1 Leatherman skeletool
- 1 helmet
- 1 pair rock climbing shoes

I was surprised I could get it all in, but it fits. Meanwhile, my sleeping bag, all the gear & pro that hangs on my harness (other than ice screws), and various personal items like camera, charging cables, a few guidebooks, etc. are in my 50L CCW pack, which I am using as a carry on. The one thing you'll see missing from both bag lists is rope. For the size and weight, I thought it was not practical to bring so I plan to buy rope at my destination. Obviously, this is not an economical option for short domestic trips, but then again if I had to check another bag for the rope or could somehow magically fit it in my duffel, it'd cross the 50 lb limit and the fee is $75. Double that for return flight, and that is roughly the cost of rope.

Based on this, I'd say that anything larger than 90L is too big, as it will exceed the 50 lb check-in limit if filled up. So to the OP: I recommend looking at 90L and below for your bag.

The only downside, now that ExcitableBoy mentioned it, is that it says "Patagonia" on the side and that may invite sticky hands. I will try to keep an eye on it.

EDIT: Oh, and as mentioned, boots get worn on the plane. I tried packing them and it just didn't work. Took up too much space.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:40 pm

infinityjellyD:

Have you flown with rock protection in your carry on? You may want to check first, I've had friends try to carry that stuff on and not been allowed.

shadowfire

by shadowfire » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:55 pm

I'm using TNF duffels for my gear, mainly because I think they are very durable and can handle crampons, ice axes etc fine. The TNF duffel have got shoulder straps so you can carry it as a backpack, however I almost never use them. That requires a bit of a tactics when loading the duffel. I've been carrying the duffel on my back with the ice axe trying to pick my spine....

Me myself do not fancy the wheeled ones, at all. Normally the wheels are only good at airports, where you still can get a baggage cart if needed.

infinityjellyD

by infinityjellyD » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:49 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:infinityjellyD:

Have you flown with rock protection in your carry on? You may want to check first, I've had friends try to carry that stuff on and not been allowed.

Yes and no. I just fly from Newark Airport and no one stopped me or checked my bag. But I decided to not bring my cams and nuts, since my research indicated that they were not needed for the routes I am planning to do in the CB. So really just a lot of slings, carabiners, ATC, screamers, mini-pulley, 3 pitons, and some other stuff I can't recall. No cams or nuts or other pure rock gear.

KMatos

by KMatos » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 pm

I bought this pack online at http://www.travelgearlab.com/best-travel-backpack/ to walk the Camino in Spain. This backpack was light and very comfortable. It had lots of room, pockets on waist belt that work great for snacks and a digital camera, and was set up for a Camelbak. I just can't say enough good things about this pack. Walked 8 hours a day in rain sun, up hills and up hills and more hills, rain, and shine. The shoulder straps are made with a ventilated foam that allows for airflow.

TheBootfitter

by TheBootfitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am

I use the Wild Things Mule duffel. Solid.

If you really want the "best," check out the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dyneema Duffel. Expensive, but bomber. Well designed. Just expensive.

Norris

by Norris » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 am

The largest size North Face Duffel bag is the biggest you can buy. Although the dimensions push the limits of airline maximums, I have never had a problem domestically or internationally with an airline employee whipping out a tape measure and alleging oversized luggage. I also have the Patagonia Black Hole, which is smaller. In my experience, enough of one's gear on an expedition is bulky and relatively light that one rarely exceeds 45 or so lbs even when using the larger North Face duffel bag. Keep in mind, porter loads, yak loads, etc. are often limited to 20 Kg, which is 44 lbs. I would say it depends on whether you want everything to fit in one bag or not. If so, I would go for the larger one. If getting two, and your personality is not the type that takes all kinds of extra shit on trips, then the Patagonia Black Hole is more efficient, because the bag itself is lighter, more comfortable to carry one on your back while manhandling the other in situations where a cart is not available.

Return to Gear