Skills Practice in Midwest

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
keth0601

Skills Practice in Midwest

by keth0601 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Wondering if anyone knows of some decent spots in the midwest to practice basic snow climbing skills (self-arrest, placing pickets and other snow protection, crampon techniques, etc). Currently stuck in Iowa and want to stay on top of things and potentially do some knowledge transfer.

Currently reaching out to some ski resorts but so far no luck (most say their insurance won't cover this type of activity).

ExcitableBoy

Re: Skills Practice in Midwest

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Any hill with snow will do. I've been to Iowa once (my wife is from there) so good luck finding a hill anywhere near there. I've taught this sort of things at ski resorts before the lifts start running. The nice, long, smooth run outs are perfect. You don't need their permission, just get up before they do.

keth0601

Re: Skills Practice in Midwest

by keth0601 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 pm

The type of snow is a big problem as well. Up in MN we rarely have the packed dense snow like what I've typically seen in the mountains. Usually it's light and fluffy and lacks consolidation. Makes anchor building difficult. Here in Iowa the snow never really seems to get deep enough for picket placements either so that's a problem too.

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)