Backpacking chairs?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Luciano136

Backpacking chairs?

by Luciano136 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:23 am

Looking for some suggestions for compact and lightweight backpacking chairs. I usually don't bother but this will be a longer trip where I will have some time to sit around.

Thank you!!

jdzaharia

Re: Backpacking chairs?

by jdzaharia » Fri May 05, 2017 12:28 am

I have the Helinox Chair One and the REI Flex Lite. I've backpacked with both. The Helinox is more comfortable and stable than the REI, but either one is a great place to eat a Mountain House after a long day. The Chair One weighs 2 lb-1 oz including the bag, and the REI weighs 1 lb-13 oz including bag on my scale.

After sitting in the Alite Mayfly in the REI store, I think I could like it, advertised at 1 lb-4 oz, probably not including the sack. It is a lot lower to the ground than the Helinox or REI. I really want to try the Helinox Chair Zero, which is advertised at 16 or 17 oz, depending on source. It was not in stock last time I was in a REI store. If I could sell my REI chair for a fair used price, I think I'd buy the Chair Zero.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 pm

I've used a Crazy Creek chair for years. Works inside a tent. Works on the snow. Even works on a picnic table.
And if you're worried about weight, you can use it as a sleeping pad- it's closed cell foam- so leave your regular pad at home.

Here the guy in orange enjoys his on Denali.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm

I've used a few over the years with mixed success. Most recently I got an REI Flexlite, which was the 1st of it's kind that I ever saw. It weighs 1lb, 11oz and works great in some situations. It doesn't work well on softer dirt surfaces. The feet are so small that they sink into the dirt.
Lately all I carry is a small piece of my old ensolite sleeping pad. It's pretty Spartan but it provides insulation, a small degree of comfort and saves wear & tear on the seat of my pants. Plus it only weighs about 5 oz.

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Helinox Chair Zero only weighs one pound. It's about as comfy as the Chair One but almost a pound lighter. I've found these lightweight chairs do sink in to sand and thick grass or snow, but you can modify the leg base with snow baskets and such to cover more surface area if needed. Now I use them ice climbing.
Mountains and Music

Return to Gear