Helmet or No Helmet On Rainier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
Erik Beeler

Helmet or No Helmet On Rainier

by Erik Beeler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:15 am

Hey all,

We will be climbing Rainier via Disappointment Cleaver next weekend. Absurdly warm weather apparently. I am advocating for helmets but a friend is saying no helmets as "no-one wears them on Rainier". What are the forums thoughts?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Helmet or No Helmet On Rainier

by Scott » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:54 am

Most people where helmets on Rainier and it's always a good idea.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:34 am

I hope this is a joke.

The following user would like to thank clmbr for this post
Bob Sihler

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:12 am

Trade route with loose rock, rockfall exposure, and crevasse danger. Brain buckets are a good idea.

stinkysox77

by stinkysox77 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm

clmbr wrote:I hope this is a joke.

Don't worry, he won't make it very far when he goes looking for Rainier in California.

The following user would like to thank stinkysox77 for this post
clmbr

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Erik Beeler wrote:Hey all,

We will be climbing Rainier via Disappointment Cleaver next weekend. Absurdly warm weather apparently. I am advocating for helmets but a friend is saying no helmets as "no-one wears them on Rainier". What are the forums thoughts?

Helmets DEFINITELY. People have died from rock fall while making the 'easy' traverse from Camp Muir to Disappointment Cleaver. Most of it is underneath cliff bands of very unstable rock. The rest of the way is underneath very unstable seracs that were the cause of the worst mountaineering tragedy in the U.S. Your friend is uniformed. Has he climbed Rainier?

You and your buddy may find this educational: http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... ier/507227

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
clmbr

simonov

by simonov » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:23 pm

No one goes to Rainier anymore, it's too crowded.
Nunc est bibendum.

clmbr

by clmbr » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:43 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:

Helmets DEFINITELY. People have died from rock fall while making the 'easy' traverse from Camp Muir to Disappointment Cleaver. Most of it is underneath cliff bands of very unstable rock. The rest of the way is underneath very unstable seracs that were the cause of the worst mountaineering tragedy in the U.S. Your friend is uniformed. Has he climbed Rainier?

You and your buddy may find this educational: http://www.summitpost.org/so-you-want-t ... ier/507227

What took you so long ExcitableBoy? I understand you might have been thinking like me that it was a troll, Rainier & California :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 pm

clmbr wrote:What took you so long ExcitableBoy? I understand you might have been thinking like me that it was a troll, Rainier & California :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've seen so much stupid s#*t on Rainier that I assumed this guy was for real. Glad he asked the question though and got an appropriate response. I'm all about going light, heck, I used to climb with Colin Haley who weight shamed me for having a sticker on my water bottle, but I consider helmets necessary for certain objectives, Rainier included.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
clmbr

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Erik Beeler

by Erik Beeler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 am

Nope - not a joke. I live in CA and figured there were lots of really informed climbers here. I appreciate the responses. I am, of course, planing on wearing a helmet. I was looking for responses that I would be able to use to convince him to wear the helmet.

Thanks again.

Erik

simonov

by simonov » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:09 am

Erik Beeler wrote:Nope - not a joke. I live in CA and figured there were lots of really informed climbers here. I appreciate the responses. I am, of course, planing on wearing a helmet. I was looking for responses that I would be able to use to convince him to wear the helmet.

Last time I was on Rainier everyone around me was wearing a helmet on the summit day:

(I don't know those people, they were just there when I reached the caldera).

To legally climb the mountain you have to get a permit and check in with the NPS. You can always ask the rangers what they think. I can guess what their answer will be.
Nunc est bibendum.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Wearing a helmet on Rainier is more important than wearing one on loose class 3 (and I'm no advocate C3 helmetless). I've personally seen plenty of rock fall on the DC. Also it's a good idea to wear a helmet on the glaciers due to ice falls and crevasse falls. I've fallen through a crevasse, so it does actually happen. :wink:

Carbo

by Carbo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Rainier DC route definitely a good place to wear a helmet.
The traverse from Camp Muir towards toward Disappointment cleaver had a decent rock fall the last time I went (shortly before we set off).
Coming down again and exiting DC next day, the team behind us had rocks rain on them where we had been 1 min before.

Next

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)