Vitaliy M. invades the Sierra Club

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
clmbr

Re: Vitaliy M. invades the Sierra Club

by clmbr » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm

3Deserts wrote: . . .
Here here!

When I was younger, I was pretty much an everything-but-my-backyard kind of guy. HImalayas or nothing for me. the Alps were too small. Even the Andes were too close to home.

What a revelation it's been for me to finally come to terms with what's really in my backyard. Now in my mid-40s, I have no major desire to go anywhere else as far as mountaineering and climbing go. I'm not saying I won't, and my brief foray in to South America has me curious to go back, but I could go nowhere but the Sierra and eastern California for the rest of my life and die completely happy.

That's true. I've been traveling around trying to reach farther and farther and a few years ago got back to the Sierra just to realize how beautiful these mountains are, just in our backyard.

However, I love glaciers, which Sierra lacks, and this is one of the reasons I jump over crevasses on Shasta. :) Sierra has only a few bergshrunds. :(

TheGeneral

Re: Vitaliy M. invades the Sierra Club

by TheGeneral » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 am

kevin trieu wrote:I'm flying back from the Himalayas to attend this historic event.

Glad you're coming back. That trip sounded quite harrowing.
"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Previous

Return to California