WFA, WFR, WEMT certs

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
LC

by LC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:40 pm

I obtained my WFR certification about 2 years ago. My particular WFR was through Wilderness Medical Associates. Though I've never had to use it on the field, I found the class to be quite informative. If anything, it gave me confidence when I'm outdoors that I can treat at least most minor first aid emergencies as well as assist in some major ones. What I really liked about the particular class I took was the role playing we did simulating various emergencies. These really ingrained some of the lessons we talked about in class.

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:46 am

My wife and I both took WFR after a hike where a friend dislocated a finger and we didn't know what to do until we, in a stroke of incredible luck, ran into an ER doc! Best time and money we've ever spent. Been through 3 re-certs now with lots of scenario work and am continually amazed how rusty I get in just a couple of years. I now understand why the medical professions require continuing education every year.

Our experience was the opposite though - seemed like for the first year or so after we took the class, we kept running into situations that required the skills. Never either of us fortunately, but we kept encountering others who'd been injured!

We've also taken a number of technical self-rescue classes as well - which have also come in handy.

We aren't guides but have taught classes and led trips for the local mountain club. Personally, I think all such leaders/instructors should take WFR and self-rescue just as a matter of ethical behavior if you're taking any responsibility for others.

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:49 am

Agreed! Seems like a no-brainer to me. Seems like they'd vastly expand their market if they made it easier for adults with regular jobs to take the training. There's only so many college students and semi-employed guides and guide-wannabe's out there (no offense to anyone intended).

I found that the time between classes really helped me absorb and synthesize the information. I don't think I would have learned the material as well in 10 straight days.

Of course the real answer is that we should all have 4-6 weeks of vacation like in Europe and much of the rest of the world!!! :D

zenalpinist

by zenalpinist » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am

Woofer here. Or is it Wiffer?

No applicable situations yet, thankfully.

Rice Climber

by Rice Climber » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:10 am

WFR...

Used my knowledge in the field...to prevent frostnip from progressing to frostbite on a partner (F) who had poor footwear. I've also been more confident in treating myself when in foreign countries (self-medication for infections, swelling, etc), and in situations where I'm at the beginning stages of hypothermia. I think the knowledge has helped me become more in-tune with my partners, reading their body language and what's going on with them.

In dire situations, there's a limited amount you can do, and an incredible feeling of helplessness. Prevention of those situations is best.

KevinCraig

by KevinCraig » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:53 am

Yeah, I've always said that WFR helps you understand *exactly* how scared you should be when someone gets sick or injured! You still can't do much in the field, but at least you know whether you should be concerned, worried, scared or terrified! :D That said, it does help you recognize problems earlier and there ARE some life or limb saving interventions that you can apply.

To take one example, shortly after my first WFR course, my partner failed to self-arrest following an involuntary glissade and cracked some ribs. WFR allowed me to diagnose the situation, exclude more serious stuff, and I knew what to watch out for as we self-evac'ed. Without it, we probably a) would have been scared spit-less and b) called for a rescue.

jrbouldin

by jrbouldin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Bumping, for possible new responses

Kai

by Kai » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I got my WFR more than a decade ago. I never renewed it, so I'm not current.

I've used some of the skills I was taught, but have never had the need to treat anything worse than a severe laceration with bleeding.

Fire4x4

by Fire4x4 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 pm

WFR - Out of date

EMT - Current

Have it for work.

bdub

by bdub » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 am

WFR, which I keep current since, like above, I'll probably never be able to dedicate another two weeks to re-certify. Luckily, I've never had to use it in a serious trauma, but it does make me far more comfortable when traveling in the backcountry (and abroad) to be more aware of how to respond to injuries.

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:34 pm

25 years ago, while skiing near Tioga Pass, my partner slipped into a diabetic coma. I had no idea what was happening or what to do. Although we managed to get ourselves out of trouble, this incident led me to get EMT certified.

While the information learned during the course was impressive, I can not stress the value working as a ski patroller added to having the certification. I gained far more knowledge by doing than by studying. It's a different game when confronted with a real life situation as opposed to a mock drill.

Case in point:

I was the second responder at a car crash many years ago, just happened to be passing by. There was a woman attending to a young girl who had been thrown from the car and was laying on the highway. I checked for other victims. Both the father and son appeared to be uninjured but extremely distraught. When I finally made my way over to the daughter, only injured person, I announced my name and that I was an EMT. The first responder told me she too was an EMT but asked me to take over. All she was doing was holding the girl's hand.

I went into auto pilot, ABC's, cervical precautions, scene control, information gathering, etc. After 20 minutes the medics showed up and we got the girl packed up and into the ambulance. The first responder came over to me sobbing. I was covered in blood, she was feeling horrible about her lack of action. We talked for a while and it became clear that she had never used her EMT training in real life. Remaining calm and focused in the moment of crisis is hard to teach in a classroom.

fingers

by fingers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:45 pm

it doesnt make sense to not be prepared in the field, and there is nothing worse than being in a helicopter button position and not knowing what to do. its scary.
wafa cert, and i dropped out of my wfr class. wish i would have stayed with it.

welle

by welle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 pm

I witnessed this accident this weekend: http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 350#589350

I got my Wilfa cert last spring and I was glad to see this weekend so many people who had some kind of wilderness first aid and/or rescue knowledge. The nature of the fall was that a risk of spinal cord injury was real, so knowing that you must isolate the patient's neck while moving was crucial, keeping him warm, insulating from the ground - all those things learnt in class even if not practiced I'm sure are easy to remember.

I and many others knew that it takes 6 persons per mile to carry down a litter, so many lingered around until the snowcat arrived. While it was not critical in this situation, the SOAP note was diligently taken. I am putting mine back into my First aid kit (I recently took it out)!

e-doc

by e-doc » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:14 am

I got WUMP (wilderness upgrade 4 the medical professional) mainly b/c I want 2 become a Fellow of the Academy Wilderness Medicine and I need 100 hours of CME. Getting this b/c I have an interest in Wilderness Medicine plus I get 2 go to cool meetings. I have taken care of many patients suffering with problems applicable to wilderness settings but I found the course a good review.

DrGranola

by DrGranola » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:34 am

I work as an Advanced-EMT on an ambulance and use the skills every day at work, but while backpacking/climbing etc I have only treated one injury (minor hand laceration). The skills are great to have, though. However I have attended to a few post climb "one bar stool roll overs" in my day... 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue