What are to motivations for you to climb mountains?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
NGraham

What are to motivations for you to climb mountains?

by NGraham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 am

I am a student at Massey University, New Zealand. I have just begun my final-year project for a Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design).

I just want to know what are your motivations for climbing mountains?

• The project looks into mountain safety within high-altitude environments. It is a research-based project that is looking for new design opportunities within the mountaineering sector. It will also look at the user experience and ways in which this can be developed or improved.
• If you wish to answer the question below you are most welcome to.

* Posting an answer implies consent, that your answer may be used in my research project.

Thanks for your time.

Nick Graham

Josh Lewis

Re: What are to motivations for you to climb mountains?

by Josh Lewis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:07 am

I climb Mountains because of the adventure and experience. I am someone who does not and probably will not live a casual life, I need excitement, and need a escape from the life I live at home. Mountaineering for me is the real deal, home life (school and such) feels kinda phony at times, but when on a adventure I feel more alive, more free spirited. Sure there's good views, good exercise and all that good stuff, but if your not having the time of your life in the mountains, your not fully experiencing what is out there.

drpw

by drpw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:44 pm

a) to get to the top
b) to get the girls

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:43 pm

My intention is to get a small taste of what's out there, and report back what I learned to those who might follow.

As a small child, I spent way too much time in front of the television and going to movies. Actually, there's MUCH BETTER ways to spend one's time.

I'm not saying you should create a long list of expectations. I've learned that (even hiking & scrambling) should be a uniquely spontaneous experience.

:wink:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 pm

My original inetentions were to spend time with my son climbing mountains since we had a good time climbing his first mountain when he was 8. As he grew through the teenage years, he drifted away from the hills and I was drawn closer. The summit was the goal and I'd hoped to climb Denali one day.

Now, 11 years later, I still would like to climb Aconcagua and Denali but have learned to appreciate more local pursuits, some more committing than others. It has become less about the "glory" or "conquest" of the mountain and more about the experience of being in the mountain environment.

WouterB

by WouterB » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Love nature and being outdoors. It's always different and most of the times it's exciting and challenging. It's as far away as it could possibly get from my every day life, sitting hours on end behind a computer screen. Challenging myself in such a way makes me immediately forget all about work and my responsibilities, because of have to focuse on the here and now.

etai101

by etai101 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

i think this just about says it all..

nahhh!! but its a nice way to look at it
regards to nattfodd for the good work on the vid

Super Dave

by Super Dave » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 am

I'm not always sure why I climb mountains, but I do know I get stir crazy if I don't.

mvs

by mvs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 pm

It's the best way to bring Adventure with a capital A into your life. The thrill experienced from looking down at a great height is all out of proportion to the actual risk taken. But importantly, the risk is not negligible either. That's why it's a capital A. :)

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 am

basic instinct :
some people like to live in THREE dimensions

NW

by NW » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I find it very relaxing. I've always loved the outdoors and adventures but when I'm going up a mountain all the normal worries and anxieties of day to day existence are forgotten and I'm focused on one basic idea, putting one foot/hand in front of the other. Plus I like all the planning and research that can go into a climb and of course the amazing scenery.

adventurer

by adventurer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:23 pm

The fun, the adventure , and the experience.

As an added bonus, it keeps me from feeling my age!
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Return to General