What parka for Rainier this time of year?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
alpinedan

What parka for Rainier this time of year?

by alpinedan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:39 am

More snow than usual this year in the cascades and I'm trying to figure out what parka to take to Rainier.

I heading to rainier tomorrow and I'm letting the guy I'm going with borrow my perfect mid weight down hooded parka that I always bring.

I have two other options now: my Denaliesqe Monster down TNF boltoro parka (that I got for winter climbing) or a light weight redpoint optimus hooded primaloft jacket.

I am leaning more towards the primaloft jacket due to weight as the monster puffy is almost 3lbs but I could sleep in it lol

CastillejaMiniata

Re: What parka for Rainier this time of year?

by CastillejaMiniata » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:55 am

Nice temps!

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 am

I think I recall bringing a TNF Nuptse, but that was in late Aug./early Sept., and we also camped near the summit. The amount of snow currently on the mountain has little bearing on what the temperature will be at 14K feet...study the forecast and make your call based on that.
Last edited by AlexeyD on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:42 am

More than anything find out what the prediction for winds is doing. I usually get cold only when it is windy. I would bring prima loft jacket. I was there earlier in the year doing Liberty Ridge, and when we topped out we were met with about 45mph winds all the way down the Emmons. All I had on is a synthetic thin baselayer, thin fleece (MH version of R1), and a down sweater. Was more than enough. I think from now on if the temps are not predicted to be extreme I will bring the down sweater instead of my parka for insulation. Will have enough insulation for wind, keep me warm enough (I will be moving anyways), save on bulk/weight factor too.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)