Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Where do you draw the line?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Postby Hotoven » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:02 pm

SO right now I'm pretty pissed because a week ago I had planned a climb with my friend. We talked on the phone for a while and I even took off work and didn't get my 40 hours of work in this week because I wanted to climb more. I got up super early to get ready and here I get a text from my friend saying hes hung over and can't come and climb.

Sorry I just needed to vent. i won't be climbing with him for a while.
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1864
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 116 times in 88 posts

Postby peladoboton » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:27 am

i have almost lost a close friend over my alaska climbing plans this spring because i did not invite him, but he has either not shown up or has bailed at the last minute so many times in the past that i cannot risk it with a commitment as big as a ruth gorge trip. i am not the best climber on earth, and i am not planning anything more than stuff at my level (west side of dickey and a ski tour to the ruth gap), but when i plan something climbing-wise and someone does not show up, they simply are not invited the next time.

this aint ping-pong.
User Avatar
peladoboton

 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: SLC, Utah, United States
Thanked: 1129 times in 717 posts

Postby lcarreau » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:15 am

Two options :

(1) Forget your partner and go solo.

(2) Big Bird sez he's lookin' for a partner !


Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 922 times in 693 posts

Postby mconnell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:06 am

I won't do multi-day trips with rhyang anymore. The llama takes up too much space in the tent.
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 336 times in 200 posts

Postby DudeThatMustHurt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:00 pm

mconnell wrote:I won't do multi-day trips with rhyang anymore. The llama takes up too much space in the tent.


or is it Rob threatens to take photos of you moving in on his harem? :wink:
User Avatar
DudeThatMustHurt

 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:41 pm
Location: Littleton, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 6 times in 5 posts

Postby rhyang » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

:( I will bring an extra tent next time -

Image

:mrgreen:
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby mconnell » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:43 pm

DudeThatMustHurt wrote:
mconnell wrote:I won't do multi-day trips with rhyang anymore. The llama takes up too much space in the tent.


or is it Rob threatens to take photos of you moving in on his harem? :wink:

:oops:
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 336 times in 200 posts

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 am

a) you don't really get along with them

and/or

b) they are not safe enough for your own liking.

I also don't like it when people are totally unreliable for bigger trips. When I commit, I usually don't bail unless there is a good reason (weather, injury, etc.).
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby Dan Shorb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:03 am

Its key to stop sleeping with them first.
Dan Shorb

 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:06 pm
Thanked: 40 times in 28 posts

Postby Luciano136 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 am

d_shorb wrote:Its key to stop sleeping with them first.


LMAO :lol: :lol:
User Avatar
Luciano136

 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, California, United States
Thanked: 9 times in 8 posts

Postby peladoboton » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 am

DudeThatMustHurt wrote:
mconnell wrote:I won't do multi-day trips with rhyang anymore. The llama takes up too much space in the tent.


or is it Rob threatens to take photos of you moving in on his harem? :wink:


when the hell did you show back up here?

welcome back, btw
User Avatar
peladoboton

 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: SLC, Utah, United States
Thanked: 1129 times in 717 posts

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 am

stefschuermans wrote:When becomes your partner an insecurity for you?
When would you say you'll never join a partner again?


When I have to dump my pack on a ledge, go back down, get my partner's pack and carry it up to the ledge, and then wait for my partner to climb up to the ledge where I'm sitting.
User Avatar
Sierra Ledge Rat

 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Appalachia, United States
Thanked: 241 times in 158 posts

Arrogance

Postby ibndalight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:15 am

Arrogance in my opinion is the most dangerous thing some one can have on a mountain
User Avatar
ibndalight

 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:55 pm
Location: Michigan, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby welle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:46 pm

FortMental wrote:When you stop trusting....or you stop liking your partner. It's a little like a marriage.

Sometimes you have to unrope because you can't trust yourself. That, however, requires that you like your partner.


I think true climbing partnerships are way more intimate than marriages.
User Avatar
welle

 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: NY, New York, United States
Thanked: 21 times in 17 posts

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.