Whitetail Peak MT

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
wishiker

Whitetail Peak MT

by wishiker » Tue May 31, 2011 12:41 am

Hello everyone. New here, first post. I guess I'll just jump into it. So does anyone know what the conditions are in the Beartooths? Whitetail Peak specifically, I know there is a butt load of snow in the area according to the ranger but thats all I know. I am headed out in three weeks and I wanted to attempt something in the high class 3 to 4 range and have heard Whitetail would be a good intro. I have not done much in the snow and want to start, just not bite off more than I can chew i guess. Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. Take care. Be safe.

peakhugger

Re: Whitetail Peak MT

by peakhugger » Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 am

Your biggest issue in that area will be the approach, or what usually is the approach by car/truck. For example, the only viable approach for Whitetail, even in three weeks, may be from Lake Fork Rock Creek. W. Fork Rock Creek road will likely be snowed in at some point (even as low as Wild Bill Lake or Basin?), but the rangers should know something.

I have not been the Beartooths proper yet. Was in the east MT Absarokas (Speculator Crk) a few weeks back and had >6 ft of snow at 8600 ft. While this will melt a fair amount in the next few weeks, I'd be surprised if you had clear trails below 8000 anywhere in the A-B wilderness area. Whitetail had a fair amount of snow above 10,000 ft on July 4th 2009, but we did find dry spots (along Silt Lakes) to camp here and there. You'll certainly be camping and traveling on snow well into July this year.

Also, the one class 4 step on the East route of Whitetail will likely be snowed in and possibly unnoticeable, so the overall route difficultly will be low, just long and snowy.

Look at Crazy Peak and Black Mtn as options nearby with challenging routes but easier access and even day trip options.

no avatar
wishiker

by wishiker » Tue May 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey, thanks a bunch. I'll take a look at the other two as backups. I'm getting pumped. This is my first trip to Montana so I want to make it a good one. Again, thank you for taking the time to to give me a little heads-up on things out there. Take care, have a good one.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Well, the weather is supposed to warm up this next week, you might be able to get to the trailhead at West Fork of Rock Creek, which I think would be your better approach. There is a major trail up to Sundance Lake and on up to Sundance pass, it is possible that people have been skiing or snowshoeing up there, be sure to bring snowshoes!
I doubt there will be tracks up the pass and it may be hard to find the trail, it swithchbacks up. After the pass the trail will no doubt be obscured, but it is fairly straightforward, up the ridge. There may be open spots where the snow has blown off. Watch out for fragile cornices, that will not hold your weight. If you are going solo, be especially careful, and be sure to tell the rangers where you are planning to go, and check in when you get out. This will be a serious snow trip so be prepared.
That said, the weather could be wonderful that time of year (or it could be blizzards), you never know. Normally we have thunderstorms (probably snow up high) in the afternoon in the spring. Surely there is still a lot of snow up there, but Whitetail is a good choice, a beautiful peak. Best of Luck.

no avatar
bfcc

by bfcc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm in Red Lodge. The Beartooths are very snowy right now, and will remain that way for some time. I recommend skis for the approach, and you'll probably want an ice axe in some places as well (though getting to Sundance pass without one may be fine). Snowshoes would be doable until you got up high, but much slower. You'll have to posthole a long way if you just go on foot. Snow line is currently about 8000 feet. Its been cool, so melting is slow, but that could change at any time. The west fork road is closed due to washouts from flooding about a week ago - I don't know when it will be repaired. You'd have to access Whitetail from the Lake Fork trail, which is a bit longer, but certainly still reasonable. Let me know if you need any other info, or if you need a partner when you're in the area.

no avatar
wishiker

by wishiker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Thank you much. Yeah, after talking with a few more people I decided Whitetail would wait for another day. I'll keep an eye on things and in due time I'll get the chance. Again, thanks a bunch.

Morlow

by Morlow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:02 am

I'm trying to plan out my trip in August and I've been looking at the Whitetail couloir as a possible destination. Does anyone know what conditions may be like in early-mid August for the couloir? I'm not familiar with how long it stays snow-covered or what the snow may be like by mid August.

no avatar
bfcc

by bfcc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Ask again in a couple weeks. Very high snow year in the Beartooths - many of the snotel stations are showing 200-300+% of average for this time of year. August conditions will depend on the weather between now and then, but the snow will likely be with us for some time still. you can keep on eye on things here:
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Mon ... ntana.html

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)