Will pay someone $$$ to recover lost gear - Granite Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Bobber

Re: Will pay someone $$$ to recover lost gear - Granite Peak

by Bobber » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:05 pm

His stuff might still be there because nobody goes right of the lakes. We went left like all the previous posters on SP and elsewhere recommended. And I will 2nd the opinion that traversing those steep snowfields dumping into the lakes were the hairiest part of the climb. We had no gear and I didn't like it at all. The snow was pretty firm so no good footing and the sun seemed to melt out all the tracks.
Did you summit Gwave?

gwave47

by gwave47 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:21 am

Bobber, we did not. We were 20 minutes into the couloir when a hail storm popped up on us. I was appreciative of the fixed lines. This was my third attempt, and it was the second time I got turned back by weather. I would say we were about 250 feet and maybe 20 minutes from the summit. Yeah, going left of the lakes is much easier travel. There usually aren't nearly as man snow crossings as there were this year. In hindsight, I probably should have just bought him an axe and showed him how to self arrest. Spending $70 would have been worth it considering what we ended up going through.

Wyomingsummits, you can quit being a jerk now. It has nothing to do with how many summits someone has, just how familiar someone is with that route or mountain. Most of these people who are headed up that way have put weeks of research into it, are taking maps, or have past experience on the route. I don't want someone to hop in a car on a moment's notice to run up there and risk their safety just for my gear. If someone happens to already be headed that way and wants to bring some stuff out, that would be awesome, but I'm not asking anyone to go in specifically on my account. Plus, I would feel bad for someone if they went and wasted a day or two up their just to recover it, and it were already gone. I don't want anyone wasting their time somewhere they never wanted to be in the first place. Please move on from this now.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:07 am

gwave47 wrote:Bobber, we did not. We were 20 minutes into the couloir when a hail storm popped up on us. I was appreciative of the fixed lines. This was my third attempt, and it was the second time I got turned back by weather. I would say we were about 250 feet and maybe 20 minutes from the summit. Yeah, going left of the lakes is much easier travel. There usually aren't nearly as man snow crossings as there were this year. In hindsight, I probably should have just bought him an axe and showed him how to self arrest. Spending $70 would have been worth it considering what we ended up going through.

Wyomingsummits, you can quit being a jerk now. It has nothing to do with how many summits someone has, just how familiar someone is with that route or mountain. Most of these people who are headed up that way have put weeks of research into it, are taking maps, or have past experience on the route. I don't want someone to hop in a car on a moment's notice to run up there and risk their safety just for my gear. If someone happens to already be headed that way and wants to bring some stuff out, that would be awesome, but I'm not asking anyone to go in specifically on my account. Plus, I would feel bad for someone if they went and wasted a day or two up their just to recover it, and it were already gone. I don't want anyone wasting their time somewhere they never wanted to be in the first place. Please move on from this now.

Happily moving on. Just remember....not everyone's complete tick list is listed on SP. I wish you all the best.

caverpilot

by caverpilot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Did you ever get your stuff back? We found an entire camp on Mt. Adams before. They lost their site on a bluebird day (no GPS). Lucky for them, ONE item had a phone number, so we called them and they got everything back. Before that, none of my stuff had my name on it....

Hope you got it back. That sucks you had to bail either way...

gwave47

by gwave47 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm

caverpilot wrote:Did you ever get your stuff back? We found an entire camp on Mt. Adams before. They lost their site on a bluebird day (no GPS). Lucky for them, ONE item had a phone number, so we called them and they got everything back. Before that, none of my stuff had my name on it....

Hope you got it back. That sucks you had to bail either way...

Caver, I didn't. I would imagine the tent and down jacket (not waterproof) are trashed. The sleeping bags may be okay, or they could be trashed too. I have already replaced all my gear except for the ice axe and the top to my pack which Kelty has confirmed I can't just order a new top. Thanks for the wish of good fortune. I keep telling myself I should have known better, I've been up there several times and know what it's like when you get off the lake shore and up into the ridges. I just got shortsighted and was too focused on moving fast and light when I should have packed up camp and moved it to the trail, before dumping it and moving forward. Most people don't go that way, so it could be a few years before someone stumbles across it. That's a great idea, I will start putting my name and number on my gear.

By the way, if anyone finds it at this point, you can keep it, but if you find the lid to my pack (under a rock about 25 yards south of camp) I would love to have it back.

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)