Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 15928 ft / 4855 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pico Jahn is located in the "La Columna" Massif, same as Pico Bolivar, the country´s highest. It is a massive rock peak that lies between Bolivar Peak and the "Garganta Bourgoin" (the Bourgoin Gorge). It can be climbed either through the Bourgoin gorge or by its magnificent rock wall, where there are sevaral classic rock climbing routes. From the Timoncito Lagoon (Base Camp that also serves for Pico Bolivar) you´ll have a great view of the Jahn and the Bourgoin.
Note that during the dry season (December-May) the Bourgoin gorge has little or no snow, but during the other months it´s a great climb!

Getting There

You can get there by using the cablecar from Merida and after arriving to Pico Espejo (last station), go down the "cloaca" and walk towards the Timoncito Lagoon. You can avoid the "cloaca" by going around it towards the south, which will take you much longer but in case of bad weather or too much snow, is a better way to go down towards Timoncito.
Once at Timoncito, go straight forward towards the big rock wall or the Bourgoun gorge.
You can also get to Timoncito Base Camp via "La Mucuy" near the town of Tabay. This route takes 2-3 days but you get a better aclimatization and is really beautiful. From La Mucuy there is a trail that goes up towards the Coromoto Lagoon, then the Green Lagoon (Laguna Verde)and then the Suero Lagoon. After that, you make the traverse of the Sierra Nevada up to Timoncito.

Red Tape

Yes, a permit is mandatory and you have to pay for it at the Merida cablecar station or at any Sierra Nevada National Park Office called INPARQUES. It is pretty cheap, almost insignificant really, but it's quite important to register at the Park Office.

When To Climb

December-February months you will find the best weather conditions. Very dry and cold temperatures. People usually climb during these months.
June-August: Rainy or winter season. Lots of snow, and possible snowstorms. Anyhow, there are usually several good weather windows during this period, but they don´t last long.
My favorite month to go climbing in the Venezuelan Andes is September, because there is still a lot of snow and the weather is better than during the rainy season.

Camping

Yes, you must get a permit though, at any National Park office. The best place to camp is besides Tioncito Lagoon but you can also camp a little bit lower at the ancient Albornoz refuge, which is also called "Timoncito Bajo", and it's a larger campsite.

Mountain Conditions

If you want to get a real-time look of the mountain, you can see it through a webcam installed at Pico Espejo station. It updates each 15 minute and in a clear day you may see Pico Bolivar, Pico Jahn, Garganta Bourgoin, and Pico Abanico.
Visit: http://www-imk.fzk.de/asf/mira/Merida/Merida.html

External Links

  • Webcam at Pico Espejo
    If you want to get a real-time look of the mountain, you can see it through a webcam installed at Pico Espejo station. It updates each 15 minute and in a clear day you may see Pico Bolivar, Pico Jahn, Garganta Bourgoin, and Pico Abanico.

  • Teleferico de Merida
    The cable car from Merida up to Pico Espejo is now open for all the 4 sections. For more information you can visit the "Teleferico de Merida" website.