Pilot Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 21 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Good start Gordon. Hopefully someone will come along and add routes or express interest in adoption.

Someone please adopt me
Posted May 14, 2002 9:59 am

b.Untitled Comment

b.

I'll fix this page if you want. I have not climbed this peak, but i've been in the area, know some history and have a guidebook! This may be the perfect excuse to go skiing in Cooke City and get a few pictures.
Posted Nov 24, 2003 1:28 pm

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

The page is now bthere's.
Posted Nov 24, 2003 3:47 pm

Fred SpickerUntitled Comment

Fred Spicker

Thanks for adopting the page and at least getting some information on site - some climbing and route information would constitute an even greater improvement.
Posted Oct 16, 2002 6:14 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

could use some more pics... otherwise great page.
Posted Mar 8, 2004 12:55 pm

b.Untitled Comment

b.

Thanks for the vote! I adopted this page earlier this winter and haven't made it out that way yet this year. I've got designs to get over there and get some pics, so I'll let you know.
Posted Mar 8, 2004 3:16 pm

vertxUntitled Comment

vertx

Great info. Needs a couple pics.
Posted Mar 22, 2004 4:19 pm

pintlerproUntitled Comment

pintlerpro

nice peak
Posted Dec 31, 2004 9:44 am

b.Untitled Comment

b.

Thanks for voting!
Posted Jan 4, 2005 10:42 am

AndinistalocoUntitled Comment

Andinistaloco

Page looks good - also looks like it's been handed around a bit, right? I was wondering if you'd climbed Pilot or Index... or know anyone who has?

Posted Jan 3, 2005 6:09 pm

b.Untitled Comment

b.

I've been up there a few times, but never summited. I do know a few people who have climbed both. Got plans?
Posted Jan 4, 2005 10:40 am

b.Untitled Comment

b.

Thanks for the vote, too!
Posted Jan 4, 2005 10:41 am

AndinistalocoUntitled Comment

Andinistaloco

Tried to solo Index back in '98 or so and ran into 5.6 or so on shit-rock, about 100 feet below the summit. Do you know if Pilot's the same? They're both incredible mountains - did you run into the same problems as me when you went up? I was hoping to get back up there and climb both someday... maybe this summer.

Posted Jan 6, 2005 6:00 pm

b.Untitled Comment

b.

I think Pilot is more like 5.7 on crappy rock. Tom Turiano gave a slide show here to promote the Select Peaks book and he had photos of a pretty sketchy route up the last couple hundred feet. Pretty much all of the Absoraka volcanics are like this, so you have to have a pair to get up most of them. I'm going to bag this thing someday, though.
Posted Jan 7, 2005 5:47 pm

AndinistalocoUntitled Comment

Andinistaloco

That's the spirit! I'll let you know if I make it up that way - it didn't look too soloable. Of course from the amount of traffic that area gets, there may be easier routes. I circumnavigated Index pretty well but don't know 'bout Pilot. I see you've done the Condor too - nice work! Was that an incredible climb, or what?

Posted Jan 8, 2005 3:13 am

b.Untitled Comment

b.

Not really much traffic on this peak. And the sources say that the easiest line goes 5.7. The Cabeza was great, if a little icy when we were there. Great summit.
Posted Jan 11, 2005 10:53 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Adoption's tough. Thanks for saving this mountain. She's a beaut! Look forward to a route page some day. Looks like a fun one.
Posted Jan 13, 2005 4:02 pm

b.Untitled Comment

b.

Thanks for the vote! I'm waiting for my chance to get up and try a route on this thing again! The one time up there I didn't know my adze from a hoe in the ground, so I need a fresh perspective for such a complex route. Stay tuned.
Posted Jan 13, 2005 4:33 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Nice job with the adoption.
Posted May 19, 2005 12:42 am

northface28LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING...

went up to Pilot peak last weekend. We 1st attempted the shorter trailhead. What he fails to tell you is that it is shorter by about a mile. The trail is horribly maintained. It is muddy and there are puddles of water every where on it. Then you run into snow fields. The other trailhead ( 8 mile approach )which we headed to later in the afternoon, is by far the way to go. The trail is well maintained and the views are very pretty. You can get to all sides of the mounain. So hopefully you wont waste a Saturday and 200 miles following some bad posts.

ps. bring a big gun or bear spray
Posted Jul 22, 2008 3:06 pm