Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09063°N / 108.69942°W
Additional Information County: Mesa
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log
Praying Hands TowersPraying Hands and my future on my back. Asa Anderson.
I spent many Sabbath evenings with my childhood friend Ed Cart beneath the Monument cliffs on South Broadway. We would duck the "buffalo fence" to the White Rocks outcrop and hike above to "dirt ski" down steep black rock canyons. Occasionally we scrambled the high sandstone cathedrals to discover gothic towers and relics like the telegraph wire John Otto strung across the canyon to display his huge red flag with a gold star commemorating veterans.

Now there's a civilized trailhead and obvious trail for grown-ups like me to enjoy monumental splendors from a safe distance and in short time and effort.

Getting There

Praying Hands TowersPraying Hands Towers
Praying Hands TowersPraying Hands Towers.
Drive to perdition.
From Downtown Grand Junction drive the Grand Avenue Bridge past Safeway and the Two Rivers Winery. At 8.5 miles from 4th and Rood take a left onto South Broadway. Follow South Broadway to the Gold Star Trailhead on the right/south side of the road.

Praying Hands Loop Trail- 1 mile of repentance.
Overdue for a Monument hike with my Randi wife and baby Asa, I wanted a distraction from the most frequented trailheads. I set the objective of seeing the "Praying Hands Towers" just right of Gold Star Canyon. A narrow path leads to the dark chasm of lower Gold Star Canyon. Follow the path but stay in the light and crossing the usually dry drainage then ascend right of a fallen sandstone slab. The trail winds steeply up right and west of lower Gold Star Canyon. At the junction turn right for the short and scenic Praying Hands Loop.

Take in saintly views of Gold Star Canyon, Corner Spire, Eagle Rock, Tiara Tower and myriad other "town spires" that watch over our daily lives.

Say your prayers and contemplate greater things as you pass beneath the huge praying sandstone hands. The Bench Trail traverses a half-mile or so from the junction then gently lowers hikers to a rock flanked saddle.

This little sanctuary offers a place to break bread with distant views of Mushroom Rock, Independence Monolith and the Island in the Sky and overlooks the popular rock climbing slabs.

After giving thanks for resplendent views continue on the well-worn path east down the cleft to sage flats. The path parallels the buffalo fence back to the Gold Star Trailhead.

Be tempted by the mazelike White rocks or black rock gorge above. Please stay on established paths and off the living crust designed to support life on desert soil... until it's stepped on. Pray for the forgiveness of others who step unwisely, for you've had a perfect day staying straight and narrow on my sanctified loop.

Red Tape

Praying Hands TowersPraying Hands framed by Naive Juniper Arch
Don't step on the fargile crust of the soil. Recent "fix-ups" have make ducking the fence less of an option. Use the trailhead(s).

Camping


Camping can be had at the Saddlehorn Campground at the top of the Fruita Entrance of the Monument. Free safe camping is available at the northern extreme of the popular mountain bike area of 18 Road just north of Fruita Colorado.

Monumental Images

Side walk (Ribbon) Arch, Colorado National MonumentColorado Monuments Ribbon or Sidewalk Arch- Craig Shelly tempts fate on this rarely seen feature.
How the West was WonBarb Wire along the Trail.
Early Riser Asa AndersonAsa Early Riser Anderson on our short hike.
Praying Hands and Black Wing TowersPraying Hands Towers and Black Wing Tower.



Praying Hands TowersPraying Hands Towers


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.