Processions or the War against the Devils of the mountains / 1

Processions or the War against the Devils of the mountains / 1

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Hell & Paradise Overview

I will not tell you here three or four stories. I tell various and really true. When the Men approached the mountains met at the first Rocks and Glaciers and then its Monsters and the nocturnal and silent Devils. An ancient History that long precedes the time of Mountaineering in the Past that did not interest None. These went up to the top in search of habitats to survive, to fight hunger and to be able, thanks to the stone and wood, have a house and fight the cold. Inevitably going to encounter landslides, avalanches and landslides that the Devil was preparing to defend its territory from the invasion of strangers. Thus was born the Mont Maudit, because to say that was the Mont Blanc appeared self-evident also for children, with all the snow and those glaciers. To defend themselves the Men invented the Gran Paradiso as a Great Heaven, while the Bishops and Priests proposed the Religious Processions. A long struggle between the suspended Lights of day and the dark Shadows of the Night, that with their fall approaching bears, wolves and, above all, Monsters and the Devils. The history of the entire Alps is full of these Legends Popular but, you know, behind everyone them there is always a Truth. Confirmed by old documents, as witnessed by the ancient sacred writings and the old colorful paintings and coloured frescoes.



Last lights in the evening above Les Druges


Non voglio raccontarvi qui tre o quattro storie. Ne conterò d'un paio e vere. Quando gli Uomini si sono avvicinati alle Montagne hanno incontrato dapprima le Rocce ed i Ghiacciai e quindi i Diavoli. Una Storia antica che precede di molto tempo quella dell'Alpinismo che nel Passato non interessava a Nessuno. Questi salivano verso l'alto alla ricerca di spazi vitali per sopravvivere, per combattere la fame e per potere, grazie alla pietra ed al legno, avere una casa e vincere il freddo. Inevitabilmente andando incontro a slavine, valanghe e frane che il Diavolo preparava per difendere i suoi territori dall'invasione degli estranei. Così nacque il Mont Maudit, perché dire che fosse il Mont Blanc risultava lapalissiano anche per i bambini, con tutte quelle nevi e quei ghiacciai. Per difendersi gli Uomini inventavano il Gran Paradiso, mentre i Prati proponevano le Processioni Religiose. Lunga lotta sospesa tra Luci del giorno e Ombre oscure della Notte, che col loro calare avvicinavano gli orsi, i lupi ma, soprattutto, i Diavoli. La storia delle Alpi é piena di queste Leggende Popolari ma, si sà, dietro ognuna d'esse esiste sempre una Verità. Confermata da antichi documenti, sacre scritture e testimoniata da vecchie pitture.



Votive Chapel nearby Petit Seissogne Village


As it had happened to that poor Mason St. Marcel in 1640, that the Devil had brought down from the roof of a house by breaking a leg to him. A real tragedy for that age, but the "poor devil" had provided immediately by making a mark. From the nearby cave near the village of Enchasaz he took a small statue of the Virgin Mary, who was there in 1560, and moved to Plout where he began, with the help of many people, to erect a Shrine. Captured the Devil, on the advice of the Priests, the same was imprisoned in the underlying Village Petit Seissogne to the interior of a small votive chapel and put to "graze the Anime" or Souls of the poor damned. For security they were put thick iron bars.
But the Devil fled at night and there were only the poor Anime ...



Plout Shrine since 1560 until 2015


Come era successo a quel povero Muratore di St. Marcel nel 1640, che il Diavolo aveva fatto cadere dal tetto di una casa rompendogli una gamba. Un vero dramma per quell'epoca, ma il "povero diavolo" aveva provveduto immediatamente effettuando un Voto. Dalla vicina grotta del vicino Villaggio di Enchasaz prese una statuetta della Madonna, che era lì dal 1560, e la trasferì a Plout dove incominciò, con l'aiuto di molti abitanti, ad erigere un Santuario. Catturato, su consiglio dei Preti, lo stesso venne rinchiuso nel sottostante Villaggio di Petit Seissogne all'interno d'una cappelletta votiva e messo a "pascolare" l'Anime dei poveri dannati. Per sicurezza furon messe robuste sbarre di ferro.
Ma il Demonio di notte fuggì e rimasero solo le misere Anime ...

Maudit, Brenva & Notre Dame de la Guérison

Mont Maudit was very angry. First, because they had changed the name Mont Blanc and then because it had created a movement around him annoying. A wasp nest or, better, a cloud of mosquitoes that revolved around creating noise, confusion and annoyance. So he started to pull down stones and ice to ward off stalkers. But, doing a bit of self-criticism, he agreed that the fault was also up from the start because his had underestimated this whole band of hunters, walkers, cristalliers, scientists, naturalists and mountaineers then that more and more turned around. Starting from 1760, when the Genevan Philosopher had put a bounty on him. In Chamonix, to try to go up to him and take over his head, namely mount up to the summits. It was not intuitive and the danger men took advantage of this starting to revolve around two years later with the Guide Simond and Chamoniards companions and then in 1774 with the same brash Professor, always together with Pierre and Jean Laurent Jordaney, said "Patience" and first Guide of Courmayeur. So after having had these his feet on the glaciers of the Giant, then called du Tacul, des Bossons and now she saw them wander even above those of the Dôme, one saying of Mont Blanc and also above the Brenva. And then he also felt "watched" and noted that De Saussure, named Horace Bénédict, watching him from Mont Crammont observing his limbs. And he had even laughed, thinking that those traveling in July so low even in August so much higher could not go. Small ants! But the following year (1775) ​​François and Michel cousins of another Doctor (a some Paccard), with Jean Nicolas Couteran and Victor Tessai, said "the chamois", reached the Jonction and another unnamed place today call Grands Mulets to the Summit of the Dôme thinking about being an hour from his Top. They watched the distant Piedmont and went to return towards Chamonix Hamlet, but their relationship stimulated cousin eighteen Michel Gabriel, now not even a doctor but a medical student in Turin, which in September with Thomas Blaike goes to take a look first on the Glacier de Taconnay up to the Aiguille du Gouter and two days later on the Mer de Glace to the Glacier de Leschaux and the Jardin de Talèfre, already beaten by hunters and "raided" by crystal seekers. He began to feel uncomfortable hearing the same from his feet before to the knees, then towards the navel and now behind. But the situation got worse even more in July and September of 1783 with a visit by three guides (Carrier, Couttet and Lombard said "Jorasse") and Paccard, now Doctor in Chamonix, but turned back. But the same and then Horace Bénédict were having none and then carried out along with other "attacks" by now from all sides until ((August 08th, 1786) the same Paccard with the Chamonix Guide Jacques Balmat reached the Summit. From a nail, the hand and the arm had also taken the head.

Just below Notre Dame de la Guérison Shrine 2015
Mont Blanc ascending towards the San Carlo Hill 2015
Processions ... Maudit the true name of Mont Blanc 2015
Processions Which of the two Mont Blanc the True? 2015
Angry Mont Maudit begins to vent downstream ice 2015


Now the Maudit had boxes full and it was really offended, even listening to the diatribes on the merits of that ascension and even on quarrels between Politicians who had decided to perform vivisection. With an agreement concluded in Turin 1861 and reaffirmed in 1947, which still stands today, were unknown to him decided on a partition between Piedmont and Savoy, at that time unified, and then between Italy and France. Also in the wrong deal and provoking a fight that still continues between Chamonix and Courmayeur. They exceeded all good educational limits and even of minimal decency, for which it began to pull down the ice towards the first and stones to the second. The inhabitants of Courmayeur, to whom nothing interesting to those times of Mountaineering and fearful of these quarrels with the Maudit, smelling bad air and for precaution had built a votive chapel at the Croix du Berrier or "Cross of the pile of stones" at about 1400 meters, consecrating the same in 1760. Michel-Joseph Lanier La Saxe had the idea, even as a function of a certain economic performance through the offerings of the Faithful. But profit alms, intended for the Church of Courmayeur, continued to dwindle despite the many offers, whereupon the Pastor Jean Jaccod did a survey revealing the deception of the disappearance of donations and turned to Justice. The 30 January 1765 took place the process for speculation, but Lanier did not show itself for which I was sentenced in absentia. Indeed, out of spite, the same stole the statue of the Blessed Virgin taking her to his house in La Saxe continuing the scam with a secondary chapel. To answer the Priest turned to the Deputy Bailiff of Aosta Judge Donnet that ordered the destruction of the same and the seizure of the Madonna, despite the opposition of the inhabitants of Courmayeur, which was fine be deceived and cheated but to long time being protected by the Devil Monster Maudit. A rich man of Courmayeur, Mister always Michel-Joseph but this time Truchet of Chenalley, he took on the votes of the population and in 1781 built a new chapel votive giving even an offer of 15 pounds for year. Lanier, angry and offended, rebelled addressing the Senate of Chambéry that gave him reason but that of "the donkey", so that the first Mass was celebrated on May 29, 1792 by Abbé Dondeynaz, new Pastor of Coumayeur. Powers of the Vatican, despite the French Revolution in full swing. But perhaps the real monster had become the people with all this pettiness and from the Maudit who had resigned to become the Mont Blanc with the beginning of the new Century on a dark night in 1816 with a terrible fall of seracs from Glacier Brenva went to break against Mount Chétif (Bad) destroying the tiny Sanctuary, but not the statue of the Virgin that fù recovered "unharmed". This fact persuaded the inhabitants to build a new sanctuary that was restored again in 1866, just after the Unification of Italy (1861), by the Parish Priest Menabrea of Coumayeur. The Devil, good Friend of the Maudit, tried to put the spanner in the works by convincing the civil authorities to declare the Brenva a hazardous area and therefore to prohibit to the public. As is the case today, but the Curate turned to the Religious Authorities winning the "thorny controversy". In August 25th, 1868 Monsignor Jans, Bishop of Aosta, anointed himself, dedicating the Shrine to the Notre-Dame-de-Guérison, while 10th September 1909 the Cardinal Richelmy, Archbishop of Turin and "legate" crowned the statue of the Madonna. Visited by thousands of Pilgrims, is kept for more than 42 years by renowned Hermit "à la barbs blanche" or "white beard" Laurent Girard of Courmayeur Village, who died there on April 21th, 1884 at age 71, while 21th July 1901 was celebrated a Mass in the presence of famous Duke of Abruzzi and its 8 valiant Guides departing for the adventure towards the North Pole.



Péuterey Ridge above Brenva Glacier & Notre Dame de la Guérison, by Gabriele Roth


Il Mont Maudit era molto arrabbiato. Per prima cosa perché gli avevano cambiato il nome con Mont Blanc e poi perché si era creato un movimento fastidioso intorno a lui. Un nido di vespe o, meglio, un nugolo di zanzare che gli giravano intorno creando rumore, confusione e fastidio. Così aveva iniziato a tirar giù pietre e ghiaccio per allontanare i molestatori. Ma, facendo un pò d'autocritica, aveva convenuto che la colpa era anche sua poiché fino dall'inizio aveva sottovalutato tutta questa banda di cacciatori, escursionisti, christalliers, scienziati, naturalisti e poi alpinisti che sempre di più gli giravano dattorno. A cominciare dal 1760, quando il Filosofo ginevrino gli aveva messo addosso una taglia. A Chamonix, per cercare di salirgli sopra e prendere la sua testa, cioé montarlo fino al sommo. Non era stato intuitivo del pericolo e gli uomini ne approfittavano iniziando a girargli intorno già due anni dopo con la Guida Simond e compagni e poi nel 1774 con lo stesso sfacciato Professore, sempre insieme a Pierre ed a Jean Laurent Jordaney, detto "Patience" e prima Guida di Courmayeur. Così dopo averli avuti tra i piedi sui Ghiacciai del Gigante, allora chiamato du Tacul, e des Bossons adesso li vedeva gironzolare anche sopra quelli del Dôme, uno che dicevano del Monte Bianco ed anche sulla Brenva. E poi si sentiva anche "guardato" ed aveva notato questo De Saussure, di nome Horace Bénédict, che lo spiava dal Mont Crammont osservando le sue membra. Si era perfino e messo a ridere, pensando che chi viaggiava a Luglio così in basso anche ad Agosto tanto di più in alto non poteva andare. Piccole formiche! Ma l'anno dopo (1775) i cugini François e Michel di un altro Dottore (un certo Paccard), insieme a Jean Nicolas Couteran ed a Victor Tessai, detto "il camoscio", raggiunsero la Jonction ed un altro posto senza nome che oggi chiamano Grands Mulets fino alla Sommità del Dôme pensando di essere ad un'ora dalla sua testa. Guardarono il lontano Piemonte e se ne andarono, ma la loro relazione stimolò il cugino diciottenne Michel Gabriel, non ancora dottore a studente di medicina a Torino, che a Settembre insieme a Thomas Blaike và a dare un'occhiata prima sul Glacier de Taconnay fino all'Aiguille du Gouter e due giorni dopo sulla Mer de Glace fino al Glacier de Leschaux ed al Jardin de Talèfre, già battuto dai cacciatori e "razziato" dai cercatori di cristalli. Incominciava a provare fastidio sentendosi gli stessi dai piedi prima alle ginocchia, poi all'ombelico ed adesso alle spalle. Ma la situazione andò peggiorando ancora di più a Luglio ed a Settembre del 1783 con una visita di tre guide (Carrier, Couttet e Lombard detto "jorasse") e di Paccard, ormai Dottore a Chamonix, che però tornarono indietro. Ma lo stesso e poi Horace Bénédict non demordevano ed insieme ad altri effettuavano "attacchi" ormai da tutti i lati fino a che (l'8 d'Agosto 1786) lo stesso Paccard insieme alla Guida di Chamonix Jacques Balmat raggiunsero la Sommità. Da un unghia, alla mano ed al braccio gli avean preso anche la testa. Ora il Maudit ne aveva le scatole piene ed era veramente offeso, anche ascoltando le diatribe sui meriti di quell'ascensione e persin sulle liti tra i Politici che avevan deciso di vivisezionarlo. Con un trattato fatto a Torino nel 1861 e ribadito nel 1947, che resiste ancor oggidì, avevan a sua insaputa deciso una spartizione tra Piemonte e Savoia, allora unificati, e poi tra Italia e Francia. Sbagliando anche nel far di conto e provocando una lite che dura tuttora tra Chamonix e Courmayeur. Avevan superato ogni limite di buon'edcucazione ed anche di minima decenza, per la qual cosa incominciò a tirare giù ghiaccio verso i primi e pietre ai secondi. Gli abitanti di Courmayeur, ai quali nulla interesava a quei tempi dell'Alpinismo e timorosi di queste liti col Maudit, odorando aria cattiva avevano precauzionalmente costruito una cappella votiva presso la Croix du Berrier o "Croce del cumulo di pietre" a circa 1400 metri, consacrando la medesima nel 1760. Michel-Joseph Lanier di La Saxe aveva avuto l'idea, anche in funzione di una certa resa economica tramite le offerte dei Fedeli. Ma il profitto delle elemosine, destinate alla Chiesa di Courmayeur, continuava a scarseggiare nonostante le numerose offerte, al ché il Parroco Jean Jaccod fece un'indagine scoprendo lo inganno della scomparsa delle oblazioni e si rivolse alla Giustizia. Il 30 Gennaio 1765 avvenne il processo per la speculazione, ma Lanier non si presentò per la qual cosa venne condannato in contumacia. Anzi, per ripicca, lo stesso trafugò la statua della Vergine Santa portandola a casa sua a La Saxe continuando la truffa con una cappella secondaria. Per risposta il Parroco si rivolse al Vice-Balivo di Aosta che ordinò al Giudice Donnet la distruzione della stessa ed il sequestro della Madonna, nonostante il parere contrario degli abitanti di Courmayeur, ai quali andava bene di essere raggirati purchè protetti da quel Diavolo Mostro Maudit. Un ricco di Courmayeur, anche lui Michel-Joseph ma questa volta Truchet di Chenalley, s'accollò i voti della popolazione e nel 1781 fece costruire una nuova cappella votiva donando anche un'offerta di 15 libbre annue. Lanier, stizzito ed offeso, si ribellò rivolgendosi al Senato di Chambéry che diede a lui ragione ma quella "dell'asino", tanto che la prima Messa venne celebrata il 29 Maggio 1792 dall'Abbé Dondeynaz, nuovo Parroco di Coumayeur. Poteri del Vaticano, nonostante la Rivoluzione Francese in pien corso di svolgimento. Ma forse il vero mostro eran diventati gli abitanti con tutte queste meschinerie e dal Maudit che s'era rassegnato a divenir le Mont Blanc con l'inizio del nuovo Secolo in una notte scura del 1816 una terribile caduta di seracchi dal Ghiacciaio della Brenva andò ad infrangersi contro il Mont Chétif (Cattivo) distruggendo il piccolo Santuario, ma non la statua della Vergine, che fù recuperata "incolume". Questo convinse gli abitanti a costruire un nuovo Santuario che venne restaurato ancora nel 1866, appena dopo l'Unità d'Italia (1861), ad opera del Parroco Menabrea di Coumayeur. Il Diavolo, buon Amico del Maudit, cercò di mettere il bastone tra le ruote convincendo le Autorità Civili a dichiarare quella della Brenva un'area pericolosa e quindi da interdire per il pubblico. Come avviene oggigiorno, ma il Curato si rivolse alle Autorità Religiose vincendo la "spinosa querelle". Il 25 di Agosto 1868 Monsignor Jans, Vescovo di Aosta, consacrò lo stesso dedicandolo a Notre-Dame-de-Guérison, mentre il 10 di Settembre 1909 il Cardinale Richelmy, Arcivescovo di Torino e "legato pontificio" coronò la statua della Madonna. Visitato da migliaia di Pellegrini, venne custodito per più di 42 anni dal rinomato Eremita "à la barbe blanche" Laurent Girard di Courmayeur, che quivi morì il 21 di Aprile del 1884 all'età di 71 anni, mentre il 21 Luglio 1901 venne celebrata una Santa Messa alla presenza del più che famoso Duca degli Abruzzi e delle sue 8 valorose Guide in partenza per il Polo Nord.



Comments

No comments posted yet.