Psiloritis Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
alkiskond

alkiskond - May 4, 2005 7:08 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Peter, i agree with you. Only in the mountains of "Leuka Ori" is a danger of avalance howerver lower than in the Alps. The danger there is higher after it has been snowed a lot and with sun.

PeterCorneliusSpaeth

PeterCorneliusSpaeth - Feb 5, 2005 8:52 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Though I do not want avalance danger to be underestimated in Krete, I believe usually there is less danger than e.g. in the alps. It is due to the high temperature difference between day and night. This melting and freezing quickly causes the snow to get as solid as concrete. We skied slopes of a steepness I would avoid in the Alps. Did so both on Psiloritis and in the Levka Ori. It is in line with what I have heard from friends which have been there tsome years before us.



Best skiing season seams to be March. But don't expect snow to reach much lower than 1.900m.



Best Regards, Peter.

alkiskond

alkiskond - May 4, 2005 7:03 pm - Voted 9/10

HUTS

There are two huts on this mountain. The nearest is the hut of "Stoubotos Prinos" (1600m.) in the south site of the mountain. You get there from the village of Fourfouras or Kouroutes. From Kouroutes there is a road that goes straight to the hut (in the winter not possible to go by car). From the hut about 3-4 hours to the summit. It belongs to the Mountaineering Club of Rethymnon and you have to take the key to get access in the hut.

The other hut is the hut of "Prinos". It belongs to the Mountaineering Club of Heraklion and it is far away of the summit (on the east site of the mountain.

Rick B

Rick B - Dec 10, 2007 4:53 pm - Voted 6/10

Re: HUTS

Hey alkiskond,

Does this mean that you can reach the Stoubotos Prinos hut by car in summer? I didn't read anything about that in the guide books. By the way, is the Stoubotos Prinos hut on this picture? I'm sorry I can't upload a better picture now. There is a road there, as you can see. But we also saw signs to a hut further down in the forest..?

I'm helping Thomas a bit with improving the page, especially the getting there sections.

Cheers,

Rick

alkiskond

alkiskond - Dec 11, 2007 6:19 am - Voted 9/10

Re: HUTS

yes Rick, this is a picture of "Stoubotos Prinos"-hut. You can reach the hut in summer even in winter sometimes (when there is no snow). Besides that road there is also a hiking-path that connects the hut with the village of Fourfouras.

Talking about acces: there is also an onether road (in bad cond.) that goes far inside the south area of Psiloritis coming from the village of Lochria.

alkiskond

alkiskond - May 4, 2005 7:08 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Peter, i agree with you. Only in the mountains of "Leuka Ori" is a danger of avalance howerver lower than in the Alps. The danger there is higher after it has been snowed a lot and with sun.

KlausBuechler - Aug 14, 2005 2:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

In May 2005 I want to climb up to the top of Psiloritis with a friend from the Nida-highland.

Accordingly the recommendation, needing only tennis shoes, we decided to let our mountain shoes at home and started the tour with good runningshoes. But because of this equipment we had to give up 200 highmeters and about 1 km before our aim.

It is most irresponsible to recommend tennis shoes!

This climbing tour is absolutely comparable with such in the higher Region (above 2000 m) of the Alps.!

It is a high mountain-Chain! Nearly the hole way is extremely stony. You must get your eyes straight above on the way, always! Otherwise you risk serious injuries. Surely you need no climbing gear, but tide mountain shoes are necessary, sticks help you to share the power upstairs and unburden your legs downstairs.And ,at least in may, there are not crowds of people, we only met a group of frenchman comming up from the top. They recommended us to return, because some snowfields in front of the top.

Don't forget windjackets.

We started and ended the tour with car from Anissaras (Chersonissos) by blue sky, but in the psiloritis region it sometimes threatened thunderstorm.

But with the right equipment it will be a very splendid unforgetable tour. Look my added fotos!

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Aug 22, 2005 6:10 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

I climbed it in tennis shoes (and my friend did it in flip-flops!!!!), but it was late June. There was still a smattering of snow on the slopes, but nothing you couldn't avoid. I think it all depends on what time of year you climb.



I really don't recommend flip-flops, though.

Icehunter

Icehunter - Aug 22, 2006 9:24 am - Hasn't voted

About Psiloritis

In winter time January to mid March usually there snow even from the upper part of the gravel road that leads from Kouroutes to the refuge of Stoumpotos Prinos.Two trekking poles are necessary i agree and also a rigid boot compatible with crampones for the cold clear days of winter.It depends on the winter of course.Personally i have climbed the mountain twice both in early April.In April of 2003 there was too much snow beginning from the refuge and crampones were necessary.In April 2005 there was snow only in the final slope ant the ridgeline that leads to the peak

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - May 4, 2007 3:44 am - Voted 10/10

Coordinates appear to be off

A mountain in the sea? The following coordinates might not be 100% correct but much closer than the current ones.

35.24253
24.77348

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Psiloritis' main page