Ptarmigan Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Steve Gruhn - Jun 7, 2005 7:27 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Ptarmigan Peak has two summits. According to the map, the westernmost is the highest at 4911 +/- 11 feet. The eastern summit's elevation is 4880 feet. But the eastern summit certainly appears higher than the western one when viewed from atop the mountain. The western summit is about 2.5 miles southeast of Flattop Mountain.



The elevation of 4630 feet ascribed to this peak on the heading is actually that of Hope Mountain, which is about a mile further southeast from the eastern summit.

Steve Gruhn - Jun 7, 2005 7:32 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Access from the Rabbit Creek Valley is restricted because the route crosses private property. Although the owners do not live on the property, they have sporadically asserted their private property rights by prohibiting or restricting access.

Steve Gruhn - Nov 6, 2007 2:38 pm - Voted 8/10

Access Regained!

The route up the Rabbit Creek Valley is no longer restricted. Public access has been restored since the private landowners were bought out.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Sep 25, 2019 11:36 pm - Hasn't voted

New fee

There is now a $5 fee at the Rabbit Creek (Canyon Road) trailhead.

JPRO - Aug 15, 2021 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Wishing more

Summit Post has very useful and detailed information for mountains in the Chugach, even easy mountains. Much better than the books! I wish to see a more complete page on Ptarmigan Peak. I climbed it three times, in the summer, and each time it was somewhat messy. However the reward is great.
I am not able to give useful information. I hope that Chugach boy will act.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Ptarmigan Peak' main page