Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.53024°N / 114.10038°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4242 ft / 1293 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This tiny hump in the landscape in Gold Butte National Monument might not actually be called a mountain but I guess it's OK to submit here since it does have an official name and it's well worth mentioning cause the views from the top are out of this world. In addition the plants that surround this "mountain" are amazing as well. It's well worth the short hike to the summit.

Getting There

From Bunkerville, Nevada head south on the 2 lane highway and just before the bridge over the Virgin River take a turn to the left and drive approximately 25 miles on one rough road.....Gold Butte Road. At Whitney Pocket take another left onto Whitney Pass Road and about 2 miles down that road lies Quail Point on your right.

If you're willing to make the long drive here, make sure to check out the rock formations at Whitney Pocket and also in the area is a large collection of petroglyphs. This is truly a hidden gem.

Route

We hiked up the north side and came down the east side which was a much gentler slope. I noticed on Peak Bagger that others used the south side as well. While I didn't clock this hike (it's so short) someone on Peak Bagger said it was 1.4 miles with only several hundred feet of elevation gain.

Red Tape

No Red Tape.

When to Climb

Climb anytime you please. I would guess that in the middle of the summer here it would be unbearable. A local in Mesquite told me that it hit 124 degrees this past summer.

Camping

There are designated areas at Whitney Pocket. Prior to entering Gold Butte National Monument there's billions of acres of BLM land available.

External Links

Add External Links text here.