Raspa del Tanto

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.05000°N / 3.3167°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Loose rock (poor rock) in summer, and snow and ice conditions in winter
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Interesting intermediate route (gaduated as PD, perfect for those who want to try different ascends than the 'normal' routes, but still do not have the skills and knowledges to attempt harder enterprises.

In the summer it is a walk op over screes of loose rock and it has no more difficulties than trying not to go 'two steps back' for each step forwards!! and to avoid rock falling (helmet?).

In the winter, getting there is already an issue. Once there, you will have to face the snow conditions, the possible presence of ice at some places. Therefore, full camping and mountaineering gear (and experience) will be necessary, and the activity will get much more serious.

The descend can be done over the 'normal' easy west slope to gain the 'Collado del Ciervo' (and then, descend back to base-camp at the 'Hoya del Mulhacén'), or over the 'Loma del Resuello' (SE), when you want to go back to base-camp at 'Siete Lagunas'

Getting There

As described here, it is started from the 'Hoya del Mulhacén' or 'Laguna de la Mosca', at the foot of the mountain's north face, gainning the 'Collado de Siete Lagunas' (saddle at the left side - NE side actually- of the north face, as seen from the 'Hoya del Mulhacén' and the campsite next to the lake). So we make a little bit more interesting activity by, partially, traversing the north face of Mulhacén in order to reach the saddle and before starting the real route described here.

To know how to reach the 'Hoya del Mulhacén' and 'Laguna de la Mosca', please check the 'Approach' section at the "Mulhacén ~ Canuto Central (North Face)" route on this mountain.

The route itself can be reached from the 'Cañada de las Siete Lagunas' too. To reach that place, plese check our SP route. Once at the "Cañada de las Siete Lagunas", you will have to walk up in NW direction from the lower of the lakes (Laguna Hondera) till the highest (Laguna Altera), and there, at our left, before reaching the pass/saddle, will be the mentioned route.

To read about the way up to "Cañada de las Siete Lagunas" chech the "from trevelez via siete Lagunas" route.

Route Description

Raspa del Tanto route

The route itself starts at the 'Collado de Siete Lagunas' (3.187 m), saddle at the NE ridge of Mulhacén, just above (north) of the upperst mountain lake of the 'Cañada de las Siete Lagunas' (known as 'Laguna Altera').

From this point walk with a SW bearing over a scree slope (loose and poor rock, snowed in winter), the slope of the rocky point of the 'Puntal de las Siete Lagunas' (3.248 m), to the right. Without climbing this peak, traverse its slopes (with SW bearing) heading towards an opening between two rocky bulks at almost half height on the face. This pass across the rocky bulks is steep, but not very complicated (loose rocks/snow). After this, the terrein becomes less vertical and, therefore, it is easy to progress slightly to the right (west), gaining height easily over loose rock/snow.

Soon the terrein becomes very steep again. A short rocky scramble (II) over poor rock has to be done. It is not very difficult. With snow might be covered. Then comes about 30 meters of steep climb over loose rock/snow but, finally, the terrein becomes less steep again and we can see big boulders. We are arriving at the summit, 10 minutes ahead. Cross easily along the boulders (actually they are the upper part of the NE ridge) till the very top.

Descending over the 'normal' west slope, then towards 'Collado del Ciervo' back to 'Hoya del Mulhacén' and 'Laguna de la Mosca'. Or over the SE broad ridge, called 'Loma del Resuello' till the 'Laguna Hondera', at the 'Cañada de las Siete Lagunas'.

Essential Gear

In the summer (from mid june till mid october): good mountain boots, warm clothes for the summit, sun protection -cream, cap, sunglasses-, a lot of water (minimum 1 1/2 liter pp)and a helmet.

In the winter (from mid october till mid june): good mountain boots, ice axe, crampons, gaiters, gloves, extra warm clothes, sun protection, water (nice a warm tea?), helmet.

When camping/bivouacking, think about usual gear: tent, sleeping bag, matrass, cooking and eating gear,...In the winter can be cold up there.


External Links

Add External Links text here.