Rattlesnake Wilderness and National Recreation Area Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
MTfred19

MTfred19 - Oct 1, 2023 10:59 am

A little bit of a reach....but still pretty good

Mountain bikers around Missoula would know this as the Sheep Mountain Loop, and I've heard its a pretty challenging route to do on a bike in a day with about 24 miles and about 5000 vertical to climb, not to mention some pretty steep downhill sections as well. After having hiked it, I would agree, so props to you if you have done that ride. I thought about doing it as a long day hike, which seems feasible, but I like to linger on these routes lately, so backpacking. Before I left, I checked the outdoorsing handbook, and there was nothing in there that said you couldn't do it that way. Start at main Rattlesnake trailhead, carry 5 liters of water up Woods Gulch to Blue Point and camp on top. Nice. I'm usually only up here on skis. Next day continue along the ridge, over Sheep Mountain, and down East Fork Rattlesnake to camp somewhere downstream from Franklin Bridge. Out the next morning. It was pretty fun, maybe a unique way of seeing this area, and maybe the closest to town backpacking trip you could do around here. Why not?

MTfred19

MTfred19 - Oct 21, 2021 10:45 am

The "Proper" Rattlesnake Tour  Sucess!

If you're not in a huge hurry and needing to get back to town to meet your buds at the brewery, why not take a little more time to experience the Rattlesnake at a more casual pace? One could also call this the "Classic" or "Obvious" Rattlesnake Loop, and you could trail run it in a day, or take 4 more leisurely days to complete this 35 mile hike. First day get a late start from the main trailhead, brave your way through a couple miles of mtn bikers and camp about 12 miles up Rattlesnake Creek at a nice site called Elk Meadows. Second day make your way up to Sanders Lake - its real nice there. Third day enjoy the fantastic scenery along the ridgeline as you make your way south to camp at Twin Lakes, summiting Mosquito Peak along the way. Last day, get some awesome views in the morning from the top of Stuart Peak before heading down and out Spring Gulch, and eventually to that brewery. Good times! Also, if its not midsummer and not a weekend, its highly likely that you won't even see anyone on this hike except for the first and last few miles!

MTfred19

MTfred19 - Aug 2, 2014 1:13 am

Backyard

I have hiked or snowshoed or skied to all 9 of the named peaks in the Rattlesnake. But there are so many routes and trails and unnamed points and ridges that I have not been on yet.....lakes I haven't fished yet....! We're lucky to have such a fine wilderness so close to town!

WOLFrising

WOLFrising - Feb 18, 2013 10:08 am

Close to home  Sucess!

when living near the Rattlesnake in Missoula. Tagged Stuart and Boulder Point plus miles and miles of trail.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Rattlesnake Wilderness and National Recreation Area' main page