Rawe Peak, W Canyon Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.20075°N / 119.48156°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Rawe Peak, West Canyon

The West Canyon can provide a shorter alternative to those who have a high clearance 4WD for the rough drive. The route is completely cross country, but is reasonably free of thorny Mahogony.

Getting There

From Highway 50 at Main Street (Dayton Valley Road) at the light in Dayton, turn E and follow Dayton Valley Road to Lakes Blvd. Turn R and follow to an industrial area with warehouse buildings next to an airfield. Turn R on W Airpark Vista Blvd, and just past the first warehouse, turn L and leave the pavement for a dirt tread. This will wind over to a cattle crossing then turn into a 4WD track headed to Rawe. Continue as far as is comfortable.

Route Description

From the end of the track, continue up the canyon, picking a route to avoid bouldery brushy areas. When I did it, a layer of snow covered some obstacles, but gave through in other places to slow the pace a bit. As one reaches the head of the canyon, the terrain steepens, and more open bouldery slopes present themselves to the left. Continue to the ridge where one intersects the maintenance road that services the towers. From here, one can descend the road to underneath the summit, then pick a suitable line to the top.


Essential Gear

Usual hiking gear. Gaiters if winter snow. Trekking poles.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 1, 2010 4:48 pm - Voted 1/10

More details?

I have detached for the time being, since the route longitude is in China and needs to be changed. Please provide more details, and fix the longitude. Photos would help. Then let me know if you added the details, and I can re-attach.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1