Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 37.75480°N / 112.6°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Canyon
Red Canyon is striking to the eye when first seen. If you have visited Bryce Canyon, you probably drove right by Red Canyon on your way there. Red Canyon has gorgeous orange red sandstone. The rocks are eroded into amazing formations including hoodoos also found in Bryce Canyon. Many people drive right by without stopping on their way to Bryce Canyon. The formations line up along HWY 12 for about 4 miles. You drive right under a carved tunnel right next to the visitor center on HWY 12 if you are driving east towards Bryce Canyon.

The Red Canyon Visitor Center is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It has information on camping, hiking, picnicking, and sightseeing. A campground is across the road from the visitor center.

Red Canyon features has extensive and well-maintained trail system that has something for everyone. The Birds Eye Trail is a nice .8-mile hike that offers wonderful views of the red rock formations. The 3-mile Losee Canyon Trail provides "crown jewel" look at Red Canyon, though this trail is more rugged. The visitor center has information on the trails and trail use.

Red Canyon



Getting There

From Cedar City, UT exit off of I-15. Drive East onto SR-14 for 40.5 miles. Then turn North (Left) onto US-89 for 20.6 miles. THen turn East (Right) onto SR 12 (UT 12). The visitor center is less than a mile on your left. This is also where all the trailheads are.

Tunnel

Red Tape - Camping

There are no fees to enjoy this canyon. Trails in Red Canyon are open year round. When snow-covered some of the trails are great for cross-country skiing or snowshoeing.

There is a campground across the HWY from the visitor center.

External Links

  • Red Canyon - Utah
  • Red Canyon
  • Weather Weather for Hatch, UT (closest city to Red Canyon)

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    tarol

    tarol - Feb 13, 2007 1:31 am - Voted 8/10

    Red Canyon - More Info

    Red Canyon Campground is very nice - there are 37 sites, bathrooms with flush toilets and showers, and it's near many trails. I like it better than the campground at Bryce! More info can be found here The Visitor Center was recently expanded and renovated and is very nice! There you can see exhibits on geology, flora and fauna, history, etc. You can also get trail maps and general area info. Here is their web site for more information... http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/recreation/redcanyon/index.shtml

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.