Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.59837°N / 121.80503°W
Additional Information County: Skagit
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4320 ft / 1317 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View of Mount Baker
View of Mount Baker

Here is a peak very few people know about. Red Mountain at 14 miles and 3600 feet of elevation gain makes the perfect snowshoe for anyone interested. There is very little in avalache area on this peak and there are good views and scenery throughout the 14 miles trip. The views on top of this amazing summit are stunning in the winter of Mount Baker, Mount Shuksan and of the Twins. This is an ideal snowshoe in winter. 

The Twins
The Twins
Heading down the south slope
Heading down the south slope

The peak was logged back in 2013 and the road is open almost all of the way to the summit. It is ideal to do this peak in winter when the road is covered. In summer there are a lot of nicer peaks in the area.

Walking down the road
Walking down the road
Whitehorse and Three Fingers
Whitehorse and Three Fingers

It should be noted that this is private property. Conditions are subject to change at any time. If you do choose to do this peak have a backup in case the rules change.  

Getting There

VIA THE LOGGING ROAD PARKING AREA: From I-5 take exit 232 for Cook Rd toward Sedro-Woolley. Make a right onto Cook Rd and go roughly 4.3 miles. Turn left onto State Route 20 East and go 17.0 miles (about a half mile past Baker Road Groceries and Gas). Make a left onto Baker Lake Road and go 5.0 miles. The turnout will be on your left. 

Map of the Route

 

Red Rock Map
Red Rock Map

Red Tape

This road is owned by a private logging company therefore the rules can change. As of right now the only rule is that no one is to ride their vehicle up the mountain up the mountain at anytime. There is a parking area at the base of the road just before the gate that is made for three cars. When I was there I saw that someone had a bowel movement in the parking lot. My guess is that this is not a place I want to keep my car overnight.

When to Climb

Winter scenery is the best
Winter scenery is the best

Winter is the perferable time to climb this peak. I would not recommend doing this peak in summer because there is logging in the region and there are so many other cool peaks nearby.

Another nice view
Another nice view

Camping

I did not see anything sign prohibiting camping but due to the fact that you are parking on a private logging road in which I saw a human bowel movement I wouldn't recommend it. 

External Links

Red Rock Mountain Peakbagger Page