Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.59569°N / 105.83385°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12889 ft / 3929 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Panorama from the summitPanorama from the summit

 

Elevation : 12,889'                                            
CO Rank : 726
CO Prominence Rank : 1970
Counties : Clear Creek & Summit
Quad : Montezuma Coords: 39.5835°N, 105.8081°W 

Revenue Mountain seats on great divide sharing the same ridge with Decatur Mountain. This gentle mountain can be hiked from several different directions, but the easiest and most common way to get on top of this mountain is from the Decatur Mountain. It takes only somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes to make it from one summit to another. Both of these mountains are easy to hike, but the hike will offer some amazing views toward two most hiked 14eers in Colorado, Greys Peak and Torreys Peak. Beside these two most recognisable peaks in Colorado views from these two mountains toward some of Front Range 13ers are very appealing as well. Revenue Mountain is very easy to hike but in many ways very rewarding mountain.

New friend on Shelf Lake trail.
New friend on Shelf Lake trail.
Beautiful summer day.
Beautiful summer day.
Sarah meeting new friend.
Sarah meeting new friend.

 

Getting There

Shelf LakeShelf Lake
 

SHELF LAKE TRAIL

Drive west from Denver on Highway 285 to Grant. Turn right on Park County Road 62 (Guanella Pass Road). 

Drive 6.6 miles to the turnoff for Geneva Park campground and Duck Creek Picnic Ground. 

Follow the turnoff .3 miles to the entrance sign at Geneva Park Campground. 

Continue traveling straight 2.8 miles from the sign on Forest Road 119 to reach the Shelf Lake Trailhead. 

The dirt road is very bumpy and muddy at spots, but it can be negotiated with a normal passenger car if you take it slow. Several spots along the road where you can park if you do not want/dare to go on any further.

The trailhead is marked with a pile of darkblack ore. No real official parking area, you can park along the road. 


ARGENTINE PASS

Drive on I 70 West, exit before Eisenhower Tunnel and cross Loveland Pass. 

Turn onto Montezuma Road #5 east of Keystone Ski Area and follow it until the T-Junction with road 214. 

Take a left onto 214 and continue until the parking lot on the right. 

The road is closed to motorized vehicles beyond the parking lot.

 
 
Sarah pushing toward summit.
Sarah pushing toward summit.
Lenawee Mt. from the saddle.Lenawee Mt. from the saddle.

Route

The easiest way to hike Revenue Mountain is together with Decatur Mountain. Once you leave Guanella Pass and turn toward Geneva Park Campground after 2.8 miles look for big pile of black rocks. Park car somewhere along the road and follow well establish trail toward Shelf Lake. Once you are on the trail leading toward Shelf Lake follow trail to the lake, it's more than obvious. From the lake proceed toward Decatur Mountain, which leads you to the ridge above lake. Once you are on the ridge path to the Decatur Mountain is more than obvious.From Decatur Mountain follow ridge to the Revenue Mountain. Descending from Revenue Mountain can be done in two different ways, going back to Decatur Mountain and follow trail back to Smelter Gulch, or descending to Geneva Creek following jeep road back to the trail.
 
Summit of Revenue Mt.
Summit of Revenue Mt.
Panorama from the summit.
Panorama from the summit.
That's why we call this state Colorado.
That's why we call this state Colorado.
 
 

Red Tape

Clear Creek County website.

When to Climb


View ICTCS - old in alarger map

Camping

OFFICIAL CAMPSITES - GUANELLA ROAD


GENEVA PARK CAMPGROUND 

26 campsites with parking spurs 16-30
camping season: May to early September
Use fee $14.00 per night

BURNING BEAR CAMPGROUND 

14 campsites with parking spurs 16-30’
Open year round. 
Use fee is $13/$14 per night 


WHITESIDE CAMPGROUND 

5 campsites for TENT CAMPING ONLY
Open year round
Use fee is $12/$13 per night


Unofficial Campsites

Numerous campsites along the mining road from Guanella Road to Shelf Lake Trail.

External Links

Listofjohn