S 8 Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Nov 28, 2016 2:11 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2015

Western Sneffels Range Tour  Sucess!

S7, S8, S9, PT 13020 and Hayden together in a car shuttle loop with a group of friends. Early weather had us wondering if we would climb anything, but it cleared up in the morning. We did get wet descending Deep Creek trail though. The lower part of the trail (which we had not come up in the morning) got confusing, we totally lost it and bushwhacked to the road, probably though private property, and then hiked back to the lower TH on the road.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 16, 2016 9:01 am Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2016

great day in the high country  Sucess!

Started late a little after noon from Deep Creek/Whipple Mountain trail. Initially I just followed trails, which was easy, but taking longer since the trail bypasses several private properties (if you look at a map you can see some road leading higher up into the basin - those are all private).
I lost the trail higher up in the Deep Creek Basin and had to bushwhack, nothing too bad, gained west ridge of S 8 and continued up. The sun was getting low (mid November days are short), but I was stubborn and wanted to summit. Great summit, but barely took sunset photos and rushed down. The bushwhack along the creek in a total darkness was adventurous (and I ripped my jacket by crawling and pushing myself through bushes).

8/5/19 - came back, tons of avalanche debris in Deep Creek Drainage. Summited S 8, S 9, UN 13,020 and Hayden Peak.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'S 8' main page