Süphan Dağı (Mount Süphan) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

gregort - Feb 16, 2019 6:50 am - Hasn't voted

red tape

Today we were stoped and returned by Jandarma before we even start our ascent to Suphan Dagi. They told us that since 2015 permit and guide is needed to climb the mountain. It is decret of governor of Bitlis province, what was issued after some accident. We had long negotiation with major in Adilcevaz, where jandarma took us, but decision was either payed guide or we cant go. He called to some local guides, but allmost all rejected us, just one was ready to guide us, but he asked 500 USD, what is clearly off our limit.

omerzitelia - Apr 7, 2019 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Summit with ski

We have reached the summit on 07th Apr. There are few things:
- we were told to register with the local governor at Adilcevaz but it was Saturday so we couldn't.
Total climb is 1750m and we managed in 6h and 1h back.
We had visibility so we managed to choose the safest route visually.
We didn't want a guide so we started early from Aydinlar. This is the usual starting point. Another group started from Armutlu. Our risked more because the Jandarma usually catches people from Aydinlar but if you start very early the can catch you on your way back. We didn't get cough but the locals are in Aydinlar are not friendly. They called the Jandarma. The locals in Armutlu are the opposite - they gave tea to our friends and welcomed them.

My suggestion: start very early to avoid Jandarma.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Süphan Dağı (Mount Süphan)' main page